Author Topic: Gundog Club Field Tests  (Read 2227 times)

Offline ClaireH

Gundog Club Field Tests
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:07:24 AM »
Anyone who has done these know what the cost is per test? Want to enter mine in the G1 and 2, but would be nice to know how much they are. Have asked the assessor and he doesn't know either.
-x-Claire-x-Indy-x-Storm-x-Scout-x-

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Gundog Club Field Tests
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
Rodaidh's done them but it was about 5 years ago when he was about 1 or 1 and a half, I don't think they cost much to do, maybe £35 if my memory serves.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline ClaireH

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:18:28 PM »
Thanks Nicola, around about what I was expecting. Didn't realise they'd been around that long. Am hoping once we have Grade 4 we'll stand a better chance of getting on a shoot.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:04:16 PM »
Thanks Nicola, around about what I was expecting. Didn't realise they'd been around that long. Am hoping once we have Grade 4 we'll stand a better chance of getting on a shoot.

Errrm, Pearl is a show type, has no instinct to retrieve but does go to shoots........do you have to be qualified or just have an idea of etiquette?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:32:59 PM »
Depends entirely on the individual shoot  ;)

Mine wouldn't take a dog that wasn't gundog trained but they don't need the dog to pass these certificates.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:36:24 PM »
You don't need 'qualifications' but you do need a well trained dog that is at the very least steady to game and quiet. The GC tests only use dummies, or possibly some cold game at level 5, so they aren't all that relevant to an actual shoot, especially for spaniels/beating dogs where you need to be sure your dog is steady enough to hunt live game, stop to flush etc. but the basic training principles are good. I did them with Ro as a bit of fun but they weren't anything like actually taking him shooting which is what all his training was tailored to.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49:46 PM »
thank you Helen and Nicola - Pearl has no natural chase instinct [other than the cats at home] doesn't bark and stays still during the drives....we have been to lessons but I hadn't considered qualifications!  I guess I'd need a dog that actually wants to retrieve to qualify?

She's an ace pointer though ph34r locates all the birds the other dogs can't but stands still and waits for the Labs to come in and get them [generally in water or thickets] :005:  she did once lick a warm bird - the look on her face said it all....I can live in hope!

Offline ClaireH

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »
I doubt I'll ever get on a shoot, but these at least give us somewhere to aim for the training.