Author Topic: Meal split  (Read 759 times)

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
Meal split
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »
Hi - I've just put Lottie down to two meals a day.  She is on Eden Holistic, and I put a little wet food in - Wainwrights or NatureDiet.  We did a week of larger morning and evening meals with a little kibble at midday, so it wasn't too much of a shock when I put her down to two meals.

However, Lottie doesn't have a huge morning appetite and will not eat half of her daily allowance - the last couple of days I have been experimenting and found if I give her a third in the morning and two thirds in the evening, she will then eat all of her daily "quota" (she tends to be quite munchie in the evening lol).

Just wanted to check if there were any issues in doing this?   If I add extra bits to her food in the morning, I can tempt her to eat a bit more of it, but I don't really want to do this as I don't want to get her into fussy habits. 

Do you do a straight 50/50 split, or do you "weight" one of the meals?

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Meal split
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:39:46 AM »
My adult dogs are fed once a day in the evening (aside from a stuffed kong and tripe stick in the morning when I leave for work).  It works well for them.  Pip is fed twice a day, 50/50 split, at the moment.  He has higher energy levels than my other two and is still growing, so will stick to that for now.  But if he starts to lose interest in the morning meal, I will drop it or reduce it.  Every dog is different, it's just finding what works best for each one.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 10:57:05 AM »
My 2 are fed twice a day, 50/50 split, but my previous 2 Cockers used to have about 1/3 of their food in the morning and 2/3 in the evening because one of them didn't want to eat much in the morning.

As Emilyoliver has said, it's just about finding what suits your dog best :D

Offline katie94

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »
We do a 25\75 split, sometimes he eats, sometimes he doesn't!

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
Thanks for responses - feeling happier now. First time on two meals a day (Lottie six months now) and was just a bit worried as she is still little and didn't want her to miss out on her nutrition for growing. I guess as long as she is getting it in somehow, it doesn't matter too much how...

:lol2: