Author Topic: Judging a fun dog show  (Read 1836 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Judging a fun dog show
« on: August 18, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »
Today was my first time at judging a fun dog show and I had a really enjoyable time. It was hard work, 10 classes and about 50 dogs altogether, most of them entered in more than one class. I had a really good steward who kept me organised and was fun to work with and I had 49 friendly dogs and one dodgy Siberian Husky, the only dog I didn't handle at all as his body language was very clearly telling me he didn't want me anywhere near him ph34r

I tried very hard to place both big and small dogs, and pedigrees and non pedigrees, in every class, so that I wouldn't have mutterings from the ringside about being prejudiced in any way.

The dog that surprised me most was a huge and very handsome Rottie, GSD, Husky mix, only 10 months old and taken on as a rescue by his current owners just 6 weeks ago. He was a very confident but placid boy, not bothered by any of the other dogs and very gentle when I said hello to him.

The most out of control (as in taking next to no notice of their owners) were a Cocker litter sister and brother very focussed on each other, and a Bichon/Yorkie cross called Kipper, whose elderly owner was struggling with his antics.

I really enjoyed it and hope that the competitors did too. I made sure that I talked to all of them and asked them about their dogs because I know what it's like to be a competitor and have the judge pretty much ignore you then talk to the person next to you >:(

Hope I get asked again next year  :D

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Judging a fun dog show
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
I am delighted you had a good day, and enjoyed the experience - I'm sure the competitors did too.  :D

Cockers out of control - whatever next  :005: obviously not a COL owner  ;) I think sometimes the atmosphere just gets to them. I remember when the club had it's 50th Anniversary dog show - I took Katie along, and she was so hyped up (I expect I was too) that she did not show well at all or do any of the little tricks I had taught her.

I agree that it is nice when the judge has a chat - even if you don't win, it shows she/he appreciates the effort you have made  :D

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rubydoo

• Nanny Ruby, honorary Cocker
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »
I am sure you did an excellent job. Me and the boys are very proud of you. Maybe you have found a new career!  ;)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:14:35 AM »
I am sure you did an excellent job. Me and the boys are very proud of you. Maybe you have found a new career!  ;)

Sadly an unpaid one, apart from some Markies and Fish4Dogs treats for William and Louis. Thanks for looking after the boys Maria :luv:

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
Well done you Elaine, where were you judging , there seemed to be a lot of shows on yesterday, I went to' steps'

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »
Well done you Elaine, where were you judging , there seemed to be a lot of shows on yesterday, I went to' steps'

In the New Forest at The New Forest Lions Country Fair & Steam Show.