Author Topic: health screen tests  (Read 1421 times)

Offline everwoerd

health screen tests
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »
Hi there,
I have a two and a half year old bitch. I am thinking about breeding her in the future, does anybody have any idea roughly how likely it is that she would have any of the faults that are tested for? I will have her tested before she is bred from. She is kc registered herself and I would want the puppies to also be.
Thanks

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: health screen tests
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:39:31 PM »
Were her sire and dam DNA tested for PRA and FN? If you're not sure you can check on the Kennel Club website to see if they've been tested and what the results were. If neither were tested, or only one, there's absolutely no way of knowing about your bitch until you have her DNA tested. Do you intend to have her hip scored and have her eyes checked for glaucoma too?

Health testing is a major consideration in breeding, but is only one of many things to think about. Have you considered vet fees if your bitch needs a caesarean and the potential heartbreak if things go badly wrong and you lose her? You would then have puppies to hand rear and would need to be present round the clock.

Puppies aren't always easy to find good homes for in the current economic climate. Do you feel confident that you can find good homes for perhaps as many as 7 or 8 puppies and would you be able to take puppies back if things went wrong with the new owners and they were unable to keep them? If you couldn't sell them at 8 weeks or so could you cope with still having puppies unsold and growing up in your household?

Those are some of the things to consider. I'm not trying to be negative here, but as your post is quite brief and you don't say why you're thinking about breeding I'm just trying to point out some of the other things you should be considering if you haven't already done so :D

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: health screen tests
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »
You also need to check her KC registration papers to see if she's endorsed