Author Topic: which food?  (Read 923 times)

Offline AlfiesMummy

which food?
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »
Ever since I have had Alfie his poos have been sloppy.  I have tried Applaws, Eden and now he is on Eden fish formula (this was recommended by the pet shop who stocks Eden.

He is a lovely bouncy boy and he is healthy but I dread his toilet times.  He goes twice a day, his first poo is usually solid, sometimes it leaves a mark on the floor but he carries on all over the patio and ends up with it very soft it drips out (sorry TMI).  I am constantly disinfecting and if it happens when we are out it leaves an awful mess.

I have reduced his food down, he is currently on 100g per day split into breakfast and tea and throughout the day he will have a couple of tripe sticks and the odd sausage.  I feel like I am starving him as he is constantly begging for food.

I would appreciate any advice on what food to try next.  Just wondering if the breed specific Royal Canin is any good or Arden Grange.

I want to feed him a good quality food but the three I have tried so far seem not to suit him.  He has lost some weight but he is a big boy so can take it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: which food?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:45:31 PM »
oh dear, not the sloopy poo saga.

me battery i about to die, someone will be along shortly fully charged to help   :D
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:58:45 AM »
Wow sloppy poo on such a little amount isn't right.
Riley 14.75 kg is on eden , he has 90g for breakfast and 90g for dinner !
He also has some minced tripe or raw minced chicken , about 50g, he has 2 poos usually each day.
The 2nd is a bit softer sometimes.
Have you tried with eden only ? and no tripe sticks or sausages as it even could be them.
Have you thought about raw food?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:12:07 AM »
It sounds like Eden doesn't suit him, and 100g per day must leave him feeling hungry. If he were mine I'd start by ditching the sausage. Dogs love them but they're full of rusk, fat and salt, none of which are good for dogs and could be the cause of the sloppy poos.

I'm a raw feeder, so of course that's what I recommend :D but it's not for everyone, so perhaps have a look on http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ to see what else is available. I believe that carbohydrates such as wheat, rice, corn etc. aren't needed by dogs and aren't easily digested by them either, so are best avoided or kept to a minimum. I also believe that a good source of protein, such as a named source of meat, should be the main ingredient (first named on the ingredients list). But after that it's all about finding the food that suits Alfie best, which may take some trial and error.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
You could also look at wet foods - sort of in between kibble and raw. I feed Minstrel Naturediet Lamb, Rice and vegetables, and he does well on that, tho there are plenty of choices. I too have to be very careful what treats he has.

As Elaine rightly says it is trial and error, but the website she suggested will give you more details of what is in foods...and you can judge which ones are better to avoid.

Hope things start to improve for you both very soon
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 01:32:57 PM »

Hi

What weight is he & how old ?

I know some of you think 100grms is not a lot per day but Amy my 10yrs old who is light framed only has 100grm per day & is not under weight & is very active doing agility & has loads of energy.

Poos that start off ok then go sloppy tend to imply over feeding if he has an intolerant to the food then they would be loose all of the time thats the experience I have had with one of mine.

I changed Jodie who does have an intolerance to Millies Woolfheart Riverside which is duck & trout as I have been advised duck based food is better for intolerance as dogs have not been exposed to duck.

The results have been amazing Jodie has normal stools & is less windy than before on her Royal Canin sensitive diet has put on weight she needed to  :luv: & I have had to reduce her food to around 100grms per day as she was getting a bit over weight  :005: she is a little dot tho only 8.5kg

Some of the better quality foods do require you to feed less I would speak to Eden who you are with now & ask there advice Millies Woolfheart people were so helpful with my problem
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »
Hi, I've been feeding my Archie (11 months old, 11kg) on Simpsons 80/20 for a few months now.  I spoke to their customer services who advised me on the amounts to feed and it doesn't look very much, the poor thing could eat twice the amount if I let him!!  It comes in as joint no. 1 on the dog food website and Archie loves it but he is doing 3 poos a day, the last 2 quite soft and difficult to pick up, which is very embarrassing in public!  I am now looking to change him over to something else and am dithering over either a wet food or Nutriment raw (also joint no. 1 on website).  I just don't think he should be doing so much if I'm feeding him a quality, no filler food.....

I understand your concerns as I've posted many threads about sloppy and/or too much doggie do dah  :005:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!