Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Glucosamine

(1/4) > >>

Ben's mum:
Just come back from an emergency vets trip with my poor Ben  :'( he was in a lot of pain this morning with his back hunched and legs all splayed, he was dragging his back legs, I thought it was his spine and really panicked, but our lovely vet thinks more athritis in both hips and muscles spasms so he was in a lot of pain.

I have given him glucosamine in the past sporadically, when he has been stiff but not kept it up once he has been ok. The vet told me glucosamine hydrochloride is easier to metabolise for dogs and with chronditin if possible. I know some of you use this, can you tell me where to source it, a quick search has shown 100's of different tablets all with different doses and amounts of ingredients, its baffling so would like to know what you have used successfully.

Also she said he has a slight heart murmur, that's new, so do I need to worry about it, she didn't seem too concerned, I've not googled it as don't want to frighten myself, she said it can happen in older dogs does anyone have any experience of this. 

Thanks  :luv:

Mudmagnets:
Poor Ben, last place you want to be Christmas Day

Can't offer any advice - but just to say I hope he is as comfortable as possible as soon as possible and to send you a  :bigarmhug:

Don't know if this would be of any help?

http://www.fish4dogs.com/why-fish/joint-mobility.aspx

carol pearson:
Hi, Riaflex Canine Joint plus is a superior product and has helped my dog a lot. It has glucosamine, chondroitin sulphate, MSM, manganese, Vit C. Vit E. and Hyaluronic Acid.
We also use their Green Lipped Muscle.
They are also very helpful if you ring for advice.

Sorry no advice about heart murmurs though.

elaine.e:
Poor Ben :'(. I hope he's more comfortable now and that your Christmas afternoon and evening are much more relaxed than this morning was :bigarmhug:

William is on Riaflex Joint Plus and so is his 13 year old Golden Retriever friend Ruby, who has severe arthritis in her back. Ruby also has acupuncture once every few weeks and hydrotherapy about three times a month and is raw fed. Her mum is sure that it's the combination of all those things, plus keeping Ruby very slim, that is keeping her pain free and mobile.

William has been on it for about three years. After he was diagnosed with lumbosacral disc damage five years ago I decided to do everything I could to try and help keep all of him supple and mobile, which he is. Of course I can't say for sure if the Riaflex helps, but there's no doubting that he's got good mobility for a dog of his age with damaged discs.

It's an expensive supplement, but I believe it has the highest concentration of glucosamine HCl, MSM and Chondroitin Sulphate of any of the supplements available.

My first Cocker, Josh, was diagnosed with a heart murmur and heart failure in later years. I can't remember which he was diagnosed with first (long time ago) but he was diagnosed with one when he was about 10 and the other a couple of years later. He was put on a low dose of medication and had no further heart problems and lived until almost 17.

lescef:
Our first two cockers had heart murmurs. Sometimes the vet could hear them and sometimes not. They never had medication for them and they were not the cause of their death at eight and thirteen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version