Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Dementia help

(1/3) > >>

aljeana:
Hoping for some advice on possible medication for Rosie our 14+ cocker who has some arthitis & is on medication for that plus goes to hydro, has little hearing or sight but generally manages really well.  I have 3 other cockers that really look after her waking her up to go out & feed times but she is getting episodes of confusion sometimes just minor where she just wont settle, following you about and wanting food but other times much worse.

Poor Rosie has been so distressed last night I know she is getting old & so sad but to see her in one of her so confused modes is so upsetting. Last night she just could not settle all evening she paced & whimpered she thought it was tea time gave the impression she was starving constantly wanting food I had been cooking liver & I think that is what triggered it all.

Very difficult to know how to help her tried sitting with her but hard to keep her calm tried her thundershirt but did not really help. :'(

I could hear her pacing throughout the night, this morning she is calmer & seems to have come through this latest episode have people tried medication to any good result ?

Mollie our other oldie went through dementia in a totally different way was like a naughty child but so funny never got distressed just had mad moments but poor Rosie gets so distressed.
We could go days weeks without another episode as bad as this so difficult to know how to help her any advice

elaine.e:
When Josh was very old he started to become mildly confused at times and the vet put him on Vivitonin. I think it increases blood flow to the brain, but whatever it was doing it helped Josh and made him more alert and less inclined to get lost in the shrubs at the far end of the garden, bless him :luv:

I think Vivitonin is still in use and there's another similar medication now called Aktivait. I'm sure it would be worth asking the vet if he thinks either of them will help Rosie.

I hope something does. I know how distressing it is to see a much loved oldie confused and bewildered :bigarmhug:

aljeana:

Thanks Elaine I will have to speak to my vet I know Vivtonin is used & works well on some dogs its just so distressing but so odd how dementia effects some differently with Mollie who died at 16yrs she was so funny as she went back to being a silly playing puppy I would cry in fits of laughter but with Rosie its so sad

Redked:
Our old collie x had dementia. It was heartbreaking to watch her pace around. She got very scared at times too and in the end she didn't answer to her name so couldn't be let off lead for walks. She became incontinent too. Sorry if I'm painting a depressing picture but that is how she was in the end. We were given 2 different types of medication ( sorry I can't remember the names) but nothing helped for Callie. I think possibly they were given too late as when we first took her to the vet to diagnose dementia, nothing was offered at that time; we were told it was dementia and that there was obviously no cure! Not very helpful and no offer of medication. It was only months later the vet offered to try treatment.

If you can get Rosie on something sooner rather than later it might well help her. I'd take her now and talk to your vet about it as I've no doubt the earlier treatment is given the more chance it can work xxx

Ben's mum:
I don't have any experience but just wanted to send you  :bigarmhug: Its hard watching our lovely cockers get older. I hope you find something to help Rosie  :luv:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version