Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

My old girl is getting anxious now she's deaf.

(1/3) > >>

Ebony:
Just wondering if any of you lovely Cocker owners have any advice they could give me.  The vet and I are fairly sure that my dear girl who is 12 is now deaf. I am wondering if she is finding this stressful as she has got a lot more anxious lately and if I am at home continually follows me around. I find it so upsetting as if I nip upstairs she sits on the bottom step and sometimes cries. :( . Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

sodpot2000:
I have not had a deaf dog but have had several who became blind/partially sighted in their ancient years. They are remarkably adaptable and although it takes them time they will generally adapt to their problem with a bit of help from us. They seem to pick up quite a lot of low frequency noise through their paws. Perhaps put some music on and see how that goes? Otherwise it will be a matter of sign language perhaps? See if she can hear higher frequencies such a s a whistle?

I am sure there will be others with more direct experience.

zenon_bass:
Millie, at rising 14, is almost certainly deaf.  Eyesight is poor too, but she can see large movement and contrast, eg my white summer hat and me windmilling my arms as a 'Come!' signal.
Regarding her deafness, she doesnt seem to notice any of the usual cues, but today seemed to hear the timer bell on the cooker, which really surprised me.  Generally she is fairly good at responding to hand signals and is beginning to learn new ones too.
How about teaching your girl that a particular sign, eg a rug/towel put on the floor means you will go upstairs and come down again?
I'm sure there will be other colers who will be able to give you better advice...

Finvarra:
My Milo, who died in January aged 15,went deaf at around ten, totally deaf. I found that he watched me all the time, and followed me everywhere. We developed hand signals, made them quite exagerrated, and he soon picked them up. I think he found life quite boring, so it,s a good idea to try and make things interesting with toys that make them think.  And keep a close eye if they are off the lead - we only let him off in safe places like the beach, or where there were no cars, and kept a close eye, though he never wandered off. I'm sure your girl will adapt.

Maybe a comfort blanket that smells of you on the step would help? Good luck

Lesley

MIN:
my staffie (13) is now deaf. hears nothing, you have to go and poke her if you want her attention.  I have noticed that she no longer barks but makes horrible screeching noises especially if she thinks she is alone . She is always coming to search us out. I also think she is losing her mind, just little things you notice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version