Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

What age would you term a cocker an "oldie"

(1/3) > >>

blueroangirl:
Hi not sure if this is the right place to post but just wondering are cockers seen as oldies if they reach the age of nine? Just asking as we lost our beautiful blue roan boy Sweep to lymphoma in December 2013 at the age of nine and three quarters. I never really considered him old and was devastated to lose him at what I thought was a young age. Thanks.

henryjack1dogs:
Hi,

I remembering following your posts on sweep, what a brave boy he was. I can understand the devastation you must of felt.

I don't think 9 is old for a cocker, with my past boys who lived to 14 and 15, at 13 they were still full of life and naughtiness.

I hope my boys live to a grand age also.

x

Archie bean:
The springers  and sprocker we had when I was a kid all lived well into their teens. I lost my first cocker to lymphoma at 6 1/2 and I (like you I suspect) felt very robbed. My second cocker died of anal gland cancer on his 11th birthday but he had seemed to have so many more years ahead of him. Just the day before he died he met someone in the street who exclaimed "oooh a puppy" it nearly broke my heart.
But I wonder if our crazy cockers ever really seem old? Apart from some stiffness and maybe a little deafness the old age just creeps up on them and maybe we don't notice it.....until you get a puppy again!!  ;)  :o

julie1:
On our walk today we met an 18 year old (who looked like a chocolate show cocker) she was really enjoying her slow "plod", her owner said she is very happy.  :luv:
I don't think I have ever met such an old lady/man,  that would make her 126  :shades:

Jaysmumagain:
My boy Jay had just turned 10 years when we lost him to lymphoma like Sweep, he was my first cocker and I had westies and cairns prior.

I think it must be a hard question to answer, one westie lived till 16 the other only 10.

Somehow the illness came so quickly and was so advanced, didn't want by boy to go like that.

But to answer your question, Ollie is nearly eight and a handful, seeing him run rings around us up a hillside today his age never came into my head, I think they are individual personalities with individual life expectancies just like us all, my hope for you and me of course :005: is that our little men grow old gracefully and have happy lives.

Julie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version