Author Topic: Dog breeds dna tests  (Read 3210 times)

Offline amichell

• Donator
Dog breeds dna tests
« on: October 12, 2015, 08:11:50 PM »
Hi All,
I am currently fostering an 8- 9 month old puppy girl who was adopted from a local refuge as an ‘English Cocker Spaniel’ but comparing her to my show cocker Lucie I think she has a little mix/cross breed in her somewhere.
I was looking at the Wisdom Panel Dna Test but just wondering if anyone has used something similar either at their vets, or at home. She is a beautiful girl but I am really curious to find out what her parentage is and where her slinky body comes from!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Dog breeds dna tests
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »
If you're looking for a totally accurate, reliable method of finding out your puppy's ancestry, then this kind of dog breed DNA test isn't necessarily the answer - if you don't take the results too seriously, then maybe it's worth doing :-\ Here's a little online article which sums up the pros and cons:

http://www.caninejournal.com/dna-testing-for-dogs/
Jane

Offline amichell

• Donator
Re: Dog breeds dna tests
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:25:32 AM »
Thanks for the link Jane S, interesting article.

Its really to satisfy my curiosity plus I’m hoping to find a nice home for her so it would be useful to know what she is and how big she might grow.
If I wasn’t in France I’d almost be tempted to guess she had a bit of worker in her but I think it is more likely to be Epagneul Breton/ Brittany Spaniel or as someone else suggested maybe a bit of Setter. The article recommends the Wisdom test and these breeds are listed on their breed file, so hopefully we may get some answers! Either way she is a lovely girl, I’ll try and post a photo later to see what others think.