Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Blood in Stools

(1/5) > >>

AndyB:
I took Jazz to the vet about six weeks ago with a list, among which was that on about three occasions very recently there had been some blood in his motion.  The vet asked for a full description and he said is it like the stripe on toothpaste, which was a very good description.  After a rectal examination, which Mr Jazz was most unhappy about, he said all was fine and the problem was colitis.   He gave Jazz an antibiotic injection and a short course of steroids.  No problems since.  Then yesterday Jazz had a massive outpouring, all very normal in consistency, but there was some wet red blood in part of his motion.  (sorry for the graphic description).  Jazz has a follow up appointment with the vet on Monday morning about his eyes but I am now worried to death about my boy.  I know some members have experience of cancer in the bowel with their beloved cockers.  Can anyone advise if I am jumping to the wrong conclusions.  I am frantic, I lost my husband nearly five months ago and my boy is the centre of my universe.  He is ten now and obviously slowing down a little but seems completely his normal self otherwise. 

Markr64:
I have not had this problem with a cocker but I had a problem with a Jack Russell and it turned out to be a twisted bowel which was corrected after surgery, however, it did re-occur.

All I can do is offer my support for you via this thread and hope that it is a simple problem, it is hopefully just the colitis back which can be horrible for the dog but not as bad as you are thinking.

Stay calm and keep a diary of all events including intake and what is passed this will help the vet. Watch every stool passed and see if the blood is more or less that is really all I can offer.  Mark

GeoW:
Sorry to hear this Andrea, it's human nature to fear the worst but I do hope Tom can give you re-assurance that things are ok.

You could ask for a call back from Tom to speak to him about it, this is something I have done on several occasions, three days is along time for you to be so worried.

M.

minimoo:
I would pop him back to the vets today if at all possible , personally I would also ask for bloods to be taken, could you bag some up and ask the vet to have a look  . juliexx

AndyB:
Thanks for all your very good advice.  I now realise I have posted this topic in completely the wrong place, in error.  It should be in "Health".  It was very early when I posted and I was feeling somewhat anxious.  Could someone move this for me please.  Sorry !

There is no point in trying to get an earlier appointment with Tom, its like getting an appointment with God.  He is so busy.  Thanks for your advice Maurice, that might allay my concerns a little. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version