Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

heart murmour

(1/3) > >>

hblower:
We took orin to the vets tonight for him vaccination and she listened to his heart and said amidst his growling that he might have a very very slight heart mumour.  does he cough get breathless etc.  None of these things.  he hurtles round like a looney, is 9 years old.

has anyone else had one with a heart murmour and how did it affect them.  I know its not something you can do anything about but any info or anything anyone gives their dogs would be good.

Ben's mum:
Ben was diagnosed with a heart murmur last December, while bring examined for something else. He was 12. It's not made the slightest bit of difference to him thankfully, and recently when he was in for a lump investigation the vet said it had hardly changed at all so not really getting any worse thankfully.

We were told to look out for coughing or breathlessness, I think the only time we saw any impact was on the couple of hot days we had in the summer Ben was quite lethargic, but other than that it dosnt cause any problems

Hope Orin is ok  :luv:

elaine.e:
My first Cocker was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he was 9 or so and then with heart failure a few years later. Despite that, and with the help of some low dose medication, he lived until almost 17 with no further heart problems. His one and only symptom was getting a bit breathless and coughing out on a walk on a very windy day, which is what prompted me to take him to the vet in the first place.

Apart from his medication all I ever did was to make sure he stayed slim and fit, although everything went a bit saggy in the last year or so of his long life!

Have they asked you to take Orin back for a check up in a few months or are they leaving it to you to monitor him? Either way, the vet obviously doesn't think it's a big problem at the moment, and hopefully it will stay that way. My old boy's murmur didn't get worse as he got older.

tenaille:
Our last cocker had a heart murmur according to the vet, but it never came to anything or affected him. Beaus vet reckons he also has a murmur,  but low grade so no treatment required. After undescended testicles, various swallowed objects, severe Gastrenteritis, lipfold operation and then suspected Pancreatitis just last week I think the insurance company might be sceptical.

lescef:
Our first two cockers had heart mumurs from an early age. Sometimes the vet could hear them and sometimes not. It never caused them any problems and was not the cause of their deaths at 8 and 13.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version