Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Water at night

(1/2) > >>

Ben's mum:
Over the last couple of months Ben has found it harder to go all through the night without needing a wee. We have started going to bed an hour later at around 11.30 to 11.45 so his last wee is later, and OH gets up at 7am but there have still been a couple of occasions where he has not lasted all night. OH has started to take Bens water away at night, his routine has always been he has a big drink when he first goes up to bed, then both dogs get a couple of biscuits and once lights go out Ben always gets out of his bed for a second drink.

OH says he will be fine with just the first drink, and he dosnt need the second, I can hear him pottering round looking for his water and it upsets me  ph34r
It doesn't affect Harry if the water is down or not he doesn't drink after about 10ish anyway.

I just wondered what you think, will he be ok with just the one drink? I am so used to him having access to water whenever he wants, I find it difficult, but accept not lasting all night is a problem.

Do your oldies have acces to a drink at night? Do they have any problems with needing to go out
Thanks  :luv:

twiceover2:
I'm with you and wouldn't be happy about withholding the water.  Our 11-year-old has kidney problems, so it's a bit different but we make sure he has access to water all the time, even though we generally have to get up about 4/5 to let him out for a wee.  I would rather that than stop him drinking if he needs to or get up to an accident.  Luckily, I am a light sleeper and as soon as he moves, I get up and take him out.  It's a bit like having a puppy again really  :-\ 

Could you perhaps go back to your usual bedtime and just set an alarm to get up and take him out before his usual accident time? 

Emilyoliver:
Hi, my 11yo has access to water at night.  I wouldn't withhold it either.  He lasts all night, but if he needed to go out, I'd just get up and let him out (although he does ask - not sure whether Ben does?).  If he doesn't then I'd agree with twiceover that setting an alarm might be the answer.  It's just to be expected with our 'seniors' I think  :luv:

Ben's mum:
Thanks all, I will leave the water down then.  Hadn't thought of setting the alarm, its normally about 5am he needs to go and he does ask by banging on the door!
He settles back down to sleep after really well, and doesn't particularly want to get up then as he takes himself back to bed and gets up at normal time with OH.

I hate all these little signs of aging and just want to make it all as easy as possible for my boy  :luv: :luv:

Helen:
we have water down all night - so far at 10 1/2 Jarv's bladder is holding out :)

So strange having old dogs with different needs.  A couple of years ago none of this would have been of any interest to us.  Time goes so quickly   :-\ :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version