Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Vibrating collar - any in South/Mid Essex I could borrow, please?

(1/4) > >>

zenon_bass:
I've known for some time that 14yr+ Millie's sight is falling. (She has no hearing now either.) So it came a rather a shock last weekend to realise that 8 metres is about her limit....   :'(
We were in the garden (poo picking  :005:) and Millie suddenly panicked and ran back indoors hunting for me...

I'm considering buying a vibratng collar, and to try to teach her to sit/stay when it vibrates.  However they are quite expensive.
Does anyone know of one I could borrow temporarily in the south or mid Essex area, please? To be returned when I know how she reacts to it.... She's quite touch sensitive at home.

Of course we always walk in safe areas, but its never a good feeling to suddenly see the panic on her face when she thinks I'm out of range. Especially when panic takes over and she runs in the opposite direction... >:(. 
We have a long line ready for when the time comes...

Pearly:
I don't have such a collar and I suspect most on COL won't have  ;) can I suggest you change the subject to something closer to "help needed for a deaf cocker with failing eyesight"? There may be other suggestions on how to help her also

Jayne
X

PennyB:
When Roobs, who was already blind, began to get more deaf I began walking her onlead more to be honest and she felt more secure that way anyway and she enjoyed her walks just as much 

sodpot2000:
My old cocker Sophie was visually impaired all her life and eventually lost her sight completely. She did much better on a lead and found it reassuring to have that 'lifeline' so that she knew she was being steered and kept safe. I would start to use a lead and/or long line now with a harness. I think Millie will be happier. I worry (as I think you do) that something new like a vibrating collar might frighten her

Good luck,

Rodney

zenon_bass:
Thanks for your comments, everyone!
Millie always wears a harness (I think her windway was damaged sometine in the past - another story) and the long line lives in the car boot...
I do agree that it wont be that long before its in use, but, as we always walk where everyone knows each others dogs and will hold on to them if needed, I feel happy still letting her have that little freedom she has for the time being...   Having realised now how poor her sight is, I'm slowing and waiting for her to finish sniffing, rather than charging along the path out of her sight range :005:

We walk sometimes with cocker Honey, who has had to have both eyes removed.  However her hearing is still good and she has learnt lots of new verbal commands, msuch as left, right, stop, mind! She behaves so naturally, especially following her nose, that many people think her owner is batty, talking to her dog as they dont realise Honey's handicap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version