Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

Vibrating collar - any in South/Mid Essex I could borrow, please?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ben's mum:
Watching this with interest as I have a similar dilemma with Ben. His hearing has just about gone for voices, but he does still hear the whistle. His sight has changed but he still sees ok to get around, however I am really careful out walking as I can't call him back and a couple of times he has shot off looking for me and in his panic just can't seem to find me. Can Millie hear a whistle, would that help her to locate you?
Ben has got more jumpy as his hearing has deteriorated and I suppose my thoughts would be that a sudden vibration would be scary or confusing, but not sure I have any helpful suggestions though sorry  ph34r as I am pondering the same thing. 

zenon_bass:
Its quite a relief to know that Ben's mum is noticing similar behaviour with Ben to Millie.

Unfortunately she can't seem to hear anything at all, though very very occasionally she surprises me. Her sight to get around is limited, e.g. her spatial awareness in confined spaces is suspect. But out on safe park walks she can still manage OK.  Going from light to shade tends to make her pause while her eyes adjust and also approaching dogs are suddenly in her comfort zone, which she doesnt appreciate.
Depending on who is approaching, I may turn her so her back is facing the approaching dog: then she cant hear or see the 'threat' and I gently ward off any noses that are too close for her comfort. (😳or have words with those who say 'my dog only wants to play,' especially if it is a large mastiff!)

Millie has also panicked and shot off looking for me, hence my wondering whether a vibrating collar/sit-stay command would help....

I had a look at the Deaf Dog network website and it had a useful section about introducing a vibrating collar to a dog.  It also has a page for deaf/blind dogs.

zenon_bass:
Before anyone comments further,  :shades: I'm beginning to face the fact that the long line will be in use before long..

PennyB:
It will, plus may make your dog feel more secure anyway - even with a collar like this they only know you're there when you activate it whereas a line has  a permanent feeling of security - I just used a long training lead with Ruby and she was happy that way

daw:
Sorry that this has become a problem... but don't despair- our blue roan lad lived to be 17, the last 5 years with virtually no vision and poor hearing. But he enjoyed life, went swimming on the long lead and didn't seem distressed overly- unless we horrible humans forget and left something in the house he could trip over.  :-\ there's still lots for a cocker to like so long as you can keep the anxiety level to a minimum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version