Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

help and advice needed

(1/6) > >>

daydreams:
Happy New Year to you all on COL

can you wise folk help out?
Bracken has been prescribed vivitonin, a she was beginning to struggle with just 'getting old' I think,
she also has metacam for her arthritis, and we started her on tramadol

she has always been a  >:D  when taking tabs, I can manage the metcam and the tramadol, as I can crush the latter and  mix with the metacam and squirt this in to her mouth after food, although she does have to be held, as she just squirms and I am sure grows another 10 legs!

the problem is the vivitonin , trying to get this into her is causing her and me some anxiety and last night she cried out as I was trying to get her to take it, I try putting it into her mouth but she  just squirms and spits it out, if I hold her she cries out

I am at a loss,  any advice welcome

thx

Murphys Law:
Assuming vivitonin is a tablet, have you tried cutting it into smaller pieces and hiding it in the middle of a peace of sausage. It has always worked for me as the sausage is swallowed whole by my greedy lot, so no chance of the tablet being spat out.

Finvarra:
I always hid tablets in a piece of cheese, Milo,loved cheese. Not crumbly cheese, but the more 'rubbery' kind will hold tablets nicely. If you have to give liquid, I would use a syringe and slide it between the cheek and gums and squirt it in slowly. Too quickly and it will come out again.

Good luck with your golden oldie

Lesley and Dylan

Markr64:
With one of my past dogs we used cheese as the thing to hide medication in. It has a strong smell and can be formed into a coat for any pill.

aliceandlouis:
Another 'cheese coater' here  :005:

If Bracken doesn't like cheese then any food she does like that can be wrapped around the tablet can be used.  I was taught the 'three piece' trick and it never fails - it goes like this:
1.  Make three identical lumps of cheese (or other much-liked coating)
2.  Feed first lump to dog
3.  Very quickly feed second lump - this is the one containing the tablet
4.  When dog has just started to eat second lump, show them the third lump and swiftly let them take it - in order not to 'miss out' on the third lump the second lump is swallowed speedily - job done!

Not sure how to overcome the issue if it is a liquid medication other than mixing it with her food?

Good luck to you and Bracken  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version