Cocker Specific Discussion > Oldies (Over 9s)

help and advice needed

<< < (2/6) > >>

Pearly:
The miracle that is squeeze cheese in a tube - works wonders for medication and grooming (when smeared on a surface takes ages to lick off  ;))

daydreams:
thank you so much for your replies

Bracken is a very clever old lady, I have tried the vivitonin hidden in her favourite treat liver cake, and also a bit of steak and hidden it in her food, everything is eaten except the piece of meat with the tablet in,  I have watched her she takes the piece of meat into her mouth, out it comes, this is repeated several times until said tablet is revealed, she then leaves tablet and eats said piece of meat :005:

I have tried trying to fool her with first  a good piece etc,  but she just looks at me as if to say,  ' I know what your up to'
and swallows the good and leaves the 'doctored ' piece

I truly am at a loss as to what else to try,  I have tried crushing the vivtonin, and mixing it with water to syringe into her mouth but again she becomes distressed as the tablet seems to have a coating and gets stuck in syringe and any delay and she panics

love her to bits, I hate to see her upset, 

thx

hiding in the food is something I have tried but she smells it out and seems to know
sorry, any other ideas?

just seen your post pearly on cream cheese, I will try that, but I have a funny feeling she will lick around it and leave me with the tablet, but I will give it a go

elaine.e:
My first Cocker was on Vivitonin when he was an old boy. We called it his go faster tablet!

He could be crafty with tablets and would take one in his mouth and then go behind the sofa or under a table and spit it out :005: so I had to be equally crafty. I varied the treats that I hid tablets in, things like bits of cheese, cooked cocktail sausage, squeezy cheese, peanut butter etc. and also fed him one or two of the treats at random times of the day so that he never knew for sure when there might be a tablet hidden inside it.

daydreams:
thank you all for your replies

I will try the cream cheese, also vary her treats, thank you elaine

she is such a crafty little  >:D ;)
but  at least it shows that she still has life in her, and lives up to her other name as scally ;)

thx

Joules:
I always find a bit of cheddar or corned beef does the trick as you can mould it round the tablet to disguise it.  As has been said, give a plain bit first - it even works with next door's cat and she is a proper  >:D when taking her pills  :005:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version