Author Topic: eze's first day on syndicate shoot  (Read 4189 times)

Offline ips

eze's first day on syndicate shoot
« on: November 12, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »
nice to see the fellow syndicate members again.

This is eze's third working season, 1st day of 2017

1st DRIVE
  beating this drive nothing to report other than she worked very well was fully compliant with commands no bog offs no commands ignored hunted close. I was very pleased with her. I am wondering if she senses my confidence in her at this shoot as I have no concern of her ruining a drive whereas on the estate she may sense my concern and effectively lack of leadership (in her eyes) just a thought based on the fact that she is always very good on the small shoot.

2nd DRIVE
  shooting this one. Lynn had eze on lead about five yards behind me, I missed first bird but had a good first barrell on second bird.  After a few moments Lynn sent her out about fourty yards, she went straight to it so had marked it well she took a few seconds to get a good hold of it and retrieved it to Lynn however she dropped it at lynns feet. She never drops retrieves for me so one assumes it was because she isn't used to being handled by Lynn. She also retrieved another two birds one for Lynn one for me and carried out the task to her usual good standard. So shooting 1 for 3 retrieves 3

3rd DRIVE
  again she hunted really well in some pretty dense cover, she is improving every day (on this shoot anyway) as far as hunting close not pulling out through cover and general compliance to stops, turns and recall. Very pleased with this beat.

4th DRIVE
  shooting this one and what a drive this was (for our small shoot anyway) I had some great birds over me flying really well and other guns concurred that they were easily fourty yard. Gun next to me complimented me after a fourty plus yard cock pheasant quartering slightly to the right, first barrell folded it and it landed thirty yards or so to my right on level with the line of pegs so had it been a straight bird would have been at my feet. Gun next to me dropped a bird so I instructed Lynn to send eze for that one as no other dogs in the field that I and three other guns were in. Eze ran passed my bird and picked the other guns bird. Lynn then sent eze for my bird both were delivered to hand. I shot a further 3 pheasant all fourty yard ish and a screaming partridge (I thought it was a pigeon but was assured much to my embarrassment it was definitely a partridge 😲 my only defence is the sun was in my eyes 😁 eze retrieved the birds reasonably well, she started to run in on one bird but I got on the stop whistle and gave her a growl and she stopped ten yards into her run in, I was chuffed with that. Three of us with dogs looked for my partridge / pigeon in the wood but could not find it in what is very thick bramble even after 30 min of hunting it out, my team captain who was back gun assured me it was very dead when it folded and complimented me on my shooting which was nice. So shooting was 5 for 10 with I think one missed bird retrieves 5.

5th DRIVE
  beating nothing to report she hunted well complied to commands , she did good.

Final bag was 23 pheasant 3 pigeon (1 un-picked partridge) me 5 pheasant (1 un-picked partridge)

To conclude, what a brilliant day I thouroughly enjoyed good shooting and in my eyes anyway good dog work. Oh, one of the guns commented on and I quote "she is a cracking little dog" 😁

Day finished off as usual for mid afternoon lunch at local hostelry 😁

Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: eze's first day on syndicate shoot
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:01:33 PM »
Well, we kinda knew Eze is a cracking little dog  :005: but good that others do too! 

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:06:56 PM »
Your very kind ejp 😁

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:29:52 PM »
Eze was better than good -loved reading this and thank you for sharing  :D

It’s just delightful when it all comes good, all those moments of sheer despair (in my case) are suddenly worthwhile.  Can’t wait til the next shoot day  :lol:

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 09:46:32 PM »
Believe me we have our moments, last Monday was a nightmare. The only thing that made me feel better was the keepers wife and runs our beating line was struggling with her cocker. Hope tomorrow goes better 😞