Author Topic: DNA test  (Read 8288 times)

Offline Leo0106

DNA test
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:43:49 PM »
So I'm looking for a bit of advice on where to look for a DNA test!
When we bought Leo we bought him as a purebred cocker spaniel. We saw mum and dad... We did a lot of research about the breeder to make sure he seemed reputable and we were given an 8 generation family tree.

When leo grew it became apparent he was not the 'standard' cocker look that I had certainly experienced in the past.
He is very tall (Springer size) with long legs.
My dog trainer thinks he has field spaniel in him, my groomer thinks he has Springer in him... Everyone else seems to think he's just not a cocker.

I'm really not bothered in term of being 'missold' as I love him not matter what he is but my curiosity needs feeding! And I would also like to ensure there are no issues with his insurance if it turns out he is a cross and he is insured as a pure bred.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a DNA test which is reliable but does not cost the earth?

Attached a photo for some expert opinions from you guys on here!! (And because I think he's a beaut!!)

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: DNA test
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 08:59:41 PM »
He looks like a cocker to me. Some are just leggy. What is his registered name? The test some are using for dna testing is by wisdom. It’s supposed to show different breeds in a few generations. I wouldn’t worry about insurance- he looks like a cocker and that’s what you believed you were buying. That’s as much proof as you need. He doesn’t look like anything else.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:48:10 PM »
It's not easy to judge size from a photo, but to me he looks like a working Cocker. They tend to vary in height and build much more than show types, so it might be that he's larger than the breed standard. But I don't see any Springer or Field Spaniel in his appearance.

Is he Kennel Club registered, or one of the other registration bodies that breeders can use where no checks are done? If he's KC registered, or if any of his ancestors were, you can use a free facility on the KC website, called MyKC, to look at the pedigrees and health testing of KC registered dogs.

I wouldn't worry about the insurance aspect. Even if he turned out to be a Cocker cross  I don't think it would affect the policy.

He's a handsome boy :D

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:54:22 PM »
Leo‘s gorgeous, whatever he is! ( just saying...... ;))
 :luv: :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 09:57:13 PM »
We had two working cockers at one point, Max had very long legs and was a tall boy.  He was in perfect proportion.  Bertie was more squat and stocky.  If they had been people, Max would have been a lean 6 foot tall boy and Bertie a probably a foot shorter and heavy set!  I think Leo definitely has a good bit of worker in there, and is just tall.  Fortunately he is devastatingly gorgeous as well  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 11:42:30 PM »
Minstrel, my oldest boy with some worker in his pedigree is quite tall, as was his daddy - it's a bonus when it is wet underfoot as he does not get nearly so messy as Branston the youngest and shorter.

Leo is beautiful.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 01:53:49 PM »
Lovely Leo......... :luv:

Ollie was a 7mth old rescue so, like Leo he has a white chest, but Ollie is small build and we have been told he is working/cum show, he certainly is not like Jay who was show cocker strain, I understand you interest and not sure how to help, was his pedigree highlighted on some of his breed history, that might indicate a name to search for.

Somehow a show cockers face is a little different and the jowls sort of hang a bit more....but to be honest like us humans we come in different shapes and sizes......hugs to Lovely Leo.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
Thanks all, he definately does look cocker to me but I have never seen another cocker like him  :005: he is 18kg and in perfect proportion according to the vet so that gives you an idea of his size.
He is not KC registered but his parents and most of his ancestors are so I may well look at the KC website to see what that says!
I certainly don't mind him being a little different as he is unique in all other aspects  :lol2: but now and again my curiosity gets the better of me and the views of others makes me query him haha

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »
Both my girls are 18 kilos and very solid.  Working cockers do come in various sizes as they are bred according to what their breeders want in a working dog.   When they were younger I was often asked what they were but working cockers are becoming more popular so more people know what they are now.  They come from a very well known successful  trailing pedigree but this didn’t stop some people questioning their background. The worst thing that was ever said to me  concerning them was that they must be very poorly bred to look the way they do  >:D.  I have to laugh about it now though  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 06:34:30 PM »
Both my girls are 18 kilos and very solid.  Working cockers do come in various sizes as they are bred according to what their breeders want in a working dog.   When they were younger I was often asked what they were but working cockers are becoming more popular so more people know what they are now.  They come from a very well known success  trailing pedigree but this didn’t stop some people questioning their background. The worst thing that was ever said to me  concerning them was that they must be very poorly bred to look the way they do  >:D.  I have to laugh about it now though  ;)

Hi vixen, I completely understand what you're saying! I put a lot of effort into making sure I  bought from a reputable breeder and it sometimes offends me when people look at Leo and assume I don't know what he is!
Funnily enough on spaniels aid UK today they shared a post about an RSPCA rescue who is a golden working cocker and looks identical to Leo in shape/size etc. 1. This has reassured me that he might not be so odd! 2. It's made me want to rescue my dogs identical twin!  :005:

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
I have noticed more and more the different sizes and leg lengths in Cockers,  I used to be confident in spotting a Cocker V's a Springer but sometimes I question myself, now if I'm unsure I call them a Spaniel as I do not want to offend anyone and I am no expert   :005:
To make things worse,  Bea is a very little Cocker at 10.8kg so most tower over her anyway  :005:
All spaniel are beautiful no mater their size :luv:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:15:43 PM »
Another funny thing that was said about my two when they were younger -  I have 2 litter sisters, one solid black, the other blue roan.  Someone looked at Marley (black) and said very seriously that she looked as though she had a bit of spaniel in her  :005: They looked at Stevie (blue roan) and didn’t even comment   :005:  presumably she didn’t have anything in her  :005:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »
Vixen  :lol2: :lol2: you do have to laugh don't you!
People are always so shocked when I tell them what Leo is. I believe all that gives Leo's breed away to some people is his behaviour

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 08:53:19 PM »
I have noticed more and more the different sizes and leg lengths in Cockers,  I used to be confident in spotting a Cocker V's a Springer but sometimes I question myself, now if I'm unsure I call them a Spaniel as I do not want to offend anyone and I am no expert   :005:
To make things worse,  Bea is a very little Cocker at 10.8kg so most tower over her anyway  :005:
All spaniel are beautiful no mater their size :luv:

The cockers I have met have always been around 10 kilos. So when leo hit 8months old and was 12 kilos I decided I would just wing it and see what he got to!  :lol2: I was taunted by my vet as she said I was feeding him too much :( but he's always had a lean shape to him.. it's just because he's a big boy!!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 09:19:55 PM »
Now Ollie had a vet who took one look at him and said he was the smallest cocker male he had seen.  :P
Another vet said he felt he needed his teeth cleaning and possible extractions, this was when he was on antibiotics to heal an abscess on his rear end, after a check up 2 weeks later I mentioned it to the lady vet, she looked at his teeth sold me a toothpaste

Me thinks some vets are obsessed with size,  teeth and castration
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed