Author Topic: The Toothbrush Game!  (Read 1011 times)

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
The Toothbrush Game!
« on: February 21, 2022, 05:48:14 PM »
This may take time, Peanut doesn’t like to let go of it and I’ve not managed to tempt her with treats. I’m not convinced this is going to work, I can’t even turn it round to try and brush; her jaw is clamped tight!
Has anybody managed to turn this into an enjoyable game with clean teeth please?

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: The Toothbrush Game!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 07:43:27 PM »
Nope ash is the same

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 08:03:48 AM »
Maisie will simply have none of it.  I have managed to clean the teeth of all my previous cockers but not Maisie.  I have even bought one of the brushes that you place on your finger.  No chance.  It's really strange because she is the most compliant dog ever with grooming.  She just loves being groomed and if I do find a knot she will raise her paw and give me a jab - Oy that hurts.  Not a growl or grumble ever passes her lips  :luv: :luv:.  As for her teeth well that's another story  :011:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 09:00:44 AM »
My previous cocker Milo wouldn't allow his teeth to be brushed, he did suffer from extreme tartar and extractions in later years. I started brushing Dylan's teeth right from day one, he is good about it, all part of the daily groom. But we get hysteria when I try and cut his claws - there's always something!!!
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 09:47:31 AM »
Thanks everyone for your experience. I’m going to keep trying as I want to try and avoid pain, anaesthesias etc later on. This is going to take a while!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 10:30:59 AM »
In desperation I bought an ultra sonic toothbrush for Humphrey and was very impressed with the result. It was a lot of money but set against the cost of dental treatment, its all relative I guess. Humphrey had a lot of very brown plaque, particularly on the canines, I gave it two goes (just put the toothpaste on the brush and hold it against the tooth for a few seconds, you don’t have to brush up and down)  and then literally scraped it off with my finger nails. The brushes are interchangeable, so it can be used on others dogs as well. The dogs still need to tolerate the brush in their mouths but as you don’t need to move it around it makes things a little easier. The one I have is Emmipet and is made here in Germany but no doubt it, or its equivalent, would be available in UK.