Author Topic: My new Hearing Dog (3yr old, had him 12 weeks) is scooting but…  (Read 1346 times)

Offline NicNak

Hi. This is my 1st post - thank you for letting me join. I was recently matched with my dog and have had him 12 weeks. He’s 3 years old. Since we got him (and prior to this, looking at his medical history) he’s been scooting. But not constantly - maybe every 3/4 days he will do it once. He has a scoop of Protexin with his breakfast and is on Arden Grange food. We’ve had him at the vets 4 times in 10 weeks to have his glands emptied. They seem more full of gas than fluid, but the fluid isn’t infected.

He has Milbemax worming tablets every 3 months and his last one was just before Christmas.

Can anyone offer some advice? Maybe a different fibre product or anything really. Thanks.  :huh:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: My new Hearing Dog (3yr old, had him 12 weeks) is scooting but…
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 06:24:33 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL.

Sometimes dogs will scoot if they have worms, so it may be worth checking that he has been wormed lately (in the past 6 months), altho I expect the vet will already have thought of that. Would it be on his records from Hearing Dogs?

It is not the only cause of scooting but may be worth finding out?

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline NicNak

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 06:48:23 PM »
Thank you Mudmagnets 😊. He has Milbemax every 3 months and I’ve continued with that, his last one was just a week or so before Christmas.

When he scoots there’s no smell, and he seems fine in all other aspects. I mean I can learn how to empty his glands as the vet’ll show me, but it’s not really a resolution. Do some dogs ‘just scoot’? 😊

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 11:55:52 PM »
Thank you Mudmagnets 😊. He has Milbemax every 3 months and I’ve continued with that, his last one was just a week or so before Christmas.

When he scoots there’s no smell, and he seems fine in all other aspects. I mean I can learn how to empty his glands as the vet’ll show me, but it’s not really a resolution. Do some dogs ‘just scoot’? 😊

Doesn't sound like worms then. I think if it were anul glands that usually smells a bit 'fishy' I don't know if some dogs scoot for no reason - Branston sometimes does it if he has had a bit of a loose poo, but that is for obvious reasons, luckily he seems to wipe his bum on the grass (like the knights in days of old  ;) )
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 10:40:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum. My initial thought is a trip to the vet for a check on the anal glands. That generally was the cause of scooting for our dogs.

Offline NicNak

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 12:29:50 PM »
Thank you ejp. Our vets said to give it a bit longer before they empty the glands again as he hasn’t scooted since the end of last week.

We’ve added a handful of bran flakes to his tea (as well as the profiber with his breakfast), so we’ll see how we get on.

We’re trying anything we can to avoid surgery to remove the glands.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 02:39:53 PM »
A big welcome to you and congrats on getting your new four legged hearing dog.

I was going to suggest pre and probiotics but Pro Fibre covers that, my only other thought is to add a dessert spoon of tinned pumpkin puree as it is a good source of fibre.  Must get the 100% natural as some has added sugar and spices.

But I think my be the help of Pro Fibre might need a week or so to show result, another product to suggest is Yudigest tablets by Yumove but again has the biotics in.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 06:03:59 PM »
Thank you ejp. Our vets said to give it a bit longer before they empty the glands again as he hasn’t scooted since the end of last week.

We’ve added a handful of bran flakes to his tea (as well as the profiber with his breakfast), so we’ll see how we get on.

We’re trying anything we can to avoid surgery to remove the glands.
Absolutely, if it can be sorted without surgery that is the way to go. Extra fibre is a good idea. Lots of options, keep us updated on progress, please.