Author Topic: well...we did it! our first day out beating....  (Read 17814 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: well...we did it! our first day out beating....
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 07:29:30 PM »

Definitely need some piccies, though I'm sure you were quite busy enough without having to think about taking photos!

hopefully maybe next time there will be piccies  ph34r ;)

Aaah! Taking her own personal photographer along then, huh?

Penel

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 08:51:08 PM »

Definitely need some piccies, though I'm sure you were quite busy enough without having to think about taking photos!

more like Jarvis' own personal photographer I think  ;) :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006, 09:59:26 PM »

more like Jarvis' own personal photographer I think  ;) :005:

yus...no pictures of moi....not exactly a glamourous look (and if you get a pic of me slugging sloe gin i'll sue >:()

:rofl1:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2006, 12:05:33 AM »
Sounds like a great time was had by all ;)

Looking forward to photies of the next one :shades:

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 10:03:06 AM »
Excellent stuff! I can think of nothing better than working a cocker in the beating line

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 10:18:10 AM »
Excellent stuff! I can think of nothing better than working a cocker in the beating line

it's really hard work at the beginning of the season with a keen young worker.....2 steps too many and about 30 go up in a second!  really want to try him picking up too as he loves retrieving - he made me laff the other night tho - i carefully and tightly tied some pheasant wings on his gundog dummy the other night and hid it in the garden and sent him out to find it.

he was ages!!!!  then he proudly came back wagging his back-end madly with 1 pheasant wing, gave it to me, returned to get the other wing, same thing ....then the gundog dummy, and then the string i tied it on with ::)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 10:21:29 AM »

it's really hard work at the beginning of the season with a keen young worker.....2 steps too many and about 30 go up in a second!  really want to try him picking up too as he loves retrieving - he made me laff the other night tho - i carefully and tightly tied some pheasant wings on his gundog dummy the other night and hid it in the garden and sent him out to find it.

he was ages!!!!  then he proudly came back wagging his back-end madly with 1 pheasant wing, gave it to me, returned to get the other wing, same thing ....then the gundog dummy, and then the string i tied it on with ::)

May I suggest you be careful with this? Him pulling the wings off the dummy may be translated to when he picks game remember. Was this the first time he had retrieved feather?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 10:27:31 AM »

May I suggest you be careful with this? Him pulling the wings off the dummy may be translated to when he picks game remember. Was this the first time he had retrieved feather?

he retrieved a couple of birds last weekend (under guidance) without detaching their wings ;) (maybe my tieing was faulty - was never any good at macrame).  he has also bought me a live racing pigeon and a live cock pheasant in the past.....both survived with slightly damaged pride and no other injury ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 10:38:28 AM »
Good stuff!!!!!

Just worried that it was the first time and he might pick up bad habits

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 05:46:06 PM »
I was up at my parents in yorkshire last week and mocha kindly retrieved a mixy rabbit everytime we went out.  It was his first time picking up live (nearly live) game!  He retrieve it lovely sat infront of me and after a few leave its presented me with the rabbit.  Not the ideal first introduction to live game but you have to take what you can and he was fine, by the end of the week he was getting quite good and releasing the bunny.  I was very pleased that all my work on the hold command in the living room everynight with the clicker had paid off!!!
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Penel

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 05:49:49 PM »
I hope you ended the rabbits' suffering  :-\

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2006, 05:52:45 PM »
yes ofcourse.  :'(

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2006, 07:33:30 PM »
I find that the maxi rabbits hearts often give out  when picked up by a dog which is a merciful release although in the past pepper has drowned one taking it back from the other side of the river the numpty!
once i left the rabbit pen open and when I came home there was a sopping wet rabbit which had been carted round for ages by the old spaniel , she was used to dogs so they didnt dscare her and was totally unhurt but in a bad temper she was a netherland dwarf and lived to be 9 years old but she was a madam . bad tempered so and so. she bit the hand that fed her many a time!
my lot also are good at finding where my mothers bantams have gone off and are sitting on a clutch of eggs. I dont give my lot eggs in the shell cos I dont want them to start scoffing the free range produce.. their job is to find it!

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 10:01:25 PM »
I dont give my lot eggs in the shell cos I dont want them to start scoffing the free range produce.. their job is to find it!

Great use of that spaniels nose!