Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Reactive dog and puppy?

<< < (2/4) > >>

bizzylizzy:

--- Quote from: Jaysmumagain on March 31, 2022, 04:52:40 PM ---Candyfloss it is this sentence that pulls at my heart as it very much is what I fear and know I am facing
I’m haunted what will happen when he is no longer here and debating a puppy?

I too thought long and hard about 4 years back and had like you both positive and negative thoughts. In the end I decided that Ollie with the issues he had( rescue ) was too much a mums boy and wouldn't take a pup or indeed another dog in the picture.

So in my dark moments I sink with the thoughts, yet part of me ( personally ) know it was more me wanting to cushion myself that was wanting a puppy.

I cannot say to you one way or the other what you should do - but for me I knew what Ollie was and is, so I made my descision - I hope you get a glimmer of light which points you in the right direction

--- End quote ---

I think a lot of us older ones share the dilema, Humphrey’s not overly reactive but particularly since his spinal surgery, he‘s more than ever the centre of everything so I don’t thing he‘d be happy sharing our attention. I shall be 70 this year so don’t even know if having a puppy would be fair. As Doris Day sang, „The future‘s not ours to see“, so maybe its just wiser to wait and see and make the decision when the time comes.....
Sorry not be of more help!  :luv:

Candyfloss2022:
Hi everyone- I’m new to this so not sure if one can reply individually so I will reply to all of you ( hopefully). Thank you all for your answers I guess deep down I knew the answer was no -I selfishly was just doing it for myself to try and cushion the blow when the inevitable day comes

I guess sometimes it’s easier when you hear somebody else tell you rather than  keep turning it over and over in your own head so yes it must be just me and my little boy he has come so so far with his reactivity from when he was young and to be honest I think one tends to forget what hardworking  puppies are! And to deal with both without anybody to lean on to take up the slack I guess would be a nightmare so thank you for steering me in the right direction x

vixen:
Just wondered where you were situated and whether there would be any COLers  near you that could meet up occasionally so you didn’t feel so isolated.

bizzylizzy:

--- Quote from: vixen on March 31, 2022, 09:08:45 PM ---Just wondered where you were situated and whether there would be any COLers  near you that could meet up occasionally so you didn’t feel so isolated.

--- End quote ---

It‘d be a good idea to stick with us anyway! We laugh and cry together here, a great moral support even if it is only „cyber“  ;)

vixen:

--- Quote from: bizzylizzy on March 31, 2022, 09:13:24 PM ---

It‘d be a good idea to stick with us anyway! We laugh and cry together here, a great moral support even if it is only „cyber“  ;)

--- End quote ---

That is SO true.  My present puppy has been extremely hard work and I have been reduced to tears many times.  It is only by reading other COLers posts that has helped me and made me realize that I wasn’t alone with having a horrid puppy  :005:  She is now almost 9 months and there are glimpses of hope in her  :005:
COL is my place to go whenever I need information whether it be health advice, feeding advice, training help, behaviour issues and dog related shopping recommendations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version