Author Topic: 9 month old with leg problem  (Read 3878 times)

Offline dave w

• Site Member
9 month old with leg problem
« on: May 02, 2022, 10:45:37 AM »
Hugo who is 9 months old has a weird problem with one of his back legs it first happened about 2 months ago when he was tearing around the house like a lunatic he slammed into the door and was holding his left rear leg off the floor and it was stretched out backwards, he sat down and i was thinking that it had come out of joint but then he just stood up as though nothing had happened.
happened a couple of times after then over a couple of days but then seemed to get better, he doesn't make any sound and doesn't seem to bother him it only lasts for a few seconds and then he is off again.
tried resting him and he's been fine and not seen it happen for probably 3 or 4 weeks but it happened again this morning when he was on the field running about ,i'm going to book him into the vets to get him checked out just wondering if anyone else has had anything similar.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: 9 month old with leg problem
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 06:02:01 PM »
Hi, yes I‘d definately get it checked out - if you get a chance to video it that‘s always a good idea, although if it only lasts a second or so I guess that‘s not that easy but  its always difficult describing things like that to the vet. My dog used to do a little hop every now and again but the vet reckoned it wasn‘t anything serious but after having to have spinal surgery for  a prolapsed disc (aged 6,5 years) last year, the „hop“ has now become permanent and I often wonder if, had more notice been taken to it when he was a puppy, we may have been able to avoid or at least minimize the problem now.
It very likely is something small that might be dealt with by exercise or physio but I‘d try and find out what it is while your dog is still young.  :luv:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 10:10:33 PM »
I absolutely agree.  VET
Is it a luxating patella?
 Then ligament trouble comes to my mind, having put up myself with  an ACL tear for  a few years before it tore completely and I had the operation.   Dogs have tendons and ligaments across the knee joint which are attached to growth plates on the bone.  A vet would be able to assess it and know whether to let a tendon heal or to operate on a cruciate ligament.  You don’t get pain until it is out of position and wonky.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 10:44:19 AM »
Vet straight away would be my route too.

I hope he’s ok and that it’s something easy to sort and pain free.

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 07:37:03 PM »
he's booked in the vets for Monday so will see what they say, he's been racing around like a looney all week and it's not happened again.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 04:37:27 PM »
Hope all goes well for Monday do let us know

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 03:09:52 PM »
vets visit today, not the best news he has a luxating patella in his left leg ,the vet said he was very surprised that he only shows symptoms occasionally as it comes out really easy ,i did notice yesterday he was chasing the ball and he was running a bit odd almost like he wasn't fully stretching his back legs out and then when he got to the ball he sat down with his leg sticking out but then was fine again a few seconds later.
had a good chat with the vet and we decided it would be best to have it operated on as he's a very lively dog and would probably cause him more problems down the road.
so he's booked in for next Tuesday to have surgery ,my biggest worry is going to be keeping him calm whilst he recovers as he's pretty wild normally. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 04:32:06 PM »
Hi, glad you‘ve got a diagnosis and are able to get it sorted early!!
Keeping them rested is a bit of a challenge but the advantage with cockers is that they love to use their noses and are usually up for edible rewards  :lol2:, so with a bit of imagination you‘ll be able to keep him occupied with some mental activities.( we endured 6 weeks of crate rest last year  >:D but are luckily still here to tell the tale!!  :005:)
Fingers and Paws crossed for Tuesday, hope it all goes well and that your boy makes a speedy recovery!  :luv:

Offline ips

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 07:22:18 PM »
Hope all goes well Dave, which I am sure it will 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 07:49:08 PM »
Oh dear!   But good to get it fixed early. My niece has an exuberant Jack Russell that has had both legs operated on. Now he’s bouncing off the walls again.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 07:53:45 PM »
Glad you have a diagnosis, and I think your decision is wise.  Wishing you all the best for him, and will hear how you get on.

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 08:04:15 PM »
thanks all we keep you updated on his progress ,i'm having to buy some large floor mats to cover the kitchen floor as it's laminate and worry about him slipping

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2022, 08:47:09 PM »
thanks all we keep you updated on his progress ,i'm having to buy some large floor mats to cover the kitchen floor as it's laminate and worry about him slipping

Good plan 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 09:46:52 AM »
Sorry to hear this! Hope all goes well with the op. and Hugo is on the mend soon.

You could look for felt backed carpet offcuts at local carpet shops if you don't have something already? We use it to cover our slippery hardwood floors and it works a treat.

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 08:04:13 PM »
just got back from the vets a couple of hours ago. they deepened the grove in the bone under his kneecap and also moved the kneecap tendon/ligament so it's more inline so he's got some wire and pins in there. the hard work starts now keeping him calm for the next 6 weeks. i do have some sedatives for the next two weeks.
not sure whether i should leave the collar on until his stiches are out it wasn't easy getting it on he didn't like it at all.