Author Topic: Natural Deodorisers for interior  (Read 2843 times)

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Natural Deodorisers for interior
« on: March 19, 2022, 11:57:11 AM »
Hi,
Please tell me if you’ve got any tricks to remove smell of urine from a sofa cushion. Youngest had an accident about two weeks ago, I’ve thoroughly cleaned the cover and sofa foam cushion using industrial amounts of vinegar and bicarbonate of soda but I can still smell urine (and vinegar!). I diluted hydrogen peroxide too but that has not done the trick either.

I’ll try anything before dumping the sofa! Any ideas please?

Thanks.

John.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Natural Deodorisers for interior
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 01:18:25 PM »
Well I have struggled with this when Ollie started on water tabs and steroids - searched the internet etc.

Vet mentioned baking powder (soda) dry and rub in leave then hoover, thinking it was floor related urine, I found mention the lemon neutralizes urine so started adding juice to sponge to clean.  I never went the baking powder or lemon mixed as somewhere the chemistry knowledge has left me :005:

It is one of those things that when it gets up your nose it is a horror to get rid of.

I would spray with lemon water mix and take advantage of the nice weather and dry out in the fresh air, I would also leave the inner out in the fresh air and maybe in the garage overnight for a couple of days, the embedded smell I think will be on the inner cushion more than the cover.

There is a lemon anti-bac spray in Asda I got ages ago by Astonish used it to spray around if the smell lingered.

John my Ollie is over 14 and now he wears a disposable pad to catch any incidents ( poor lad dripples while he walks to go outside for  a few hours after his water tablet  :luv:  - so this saves me the problem a bit plus at night time he also wears one.

Do hope this helps

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 03:24:53 PM »
Hi Julie,

Thanks for helping. I really feel for you and Ollie as it can’t be easy trying to stay on top of leaks, 14 is a cracking age!
You’re right about once a smell gets up your nose, to be honest I don’t know whether the vinegar smell is worse but I’ll never use it in the house again!
I’ve just mixed up a litre of anti-bac, lemon, bicarb and water and will spray the cushion and leave it in the sun. I’ve ordered Minstrel disinfectant too so will try that when it arrives.

On top of this both pups have rolled in fox poo and traipsed through the house. We’ve got friends coming for dinner tonight. The whole house stinks, this is my first experience of fox poo.

Both pups need to be bathed now then I think I’ll open a bottle!

The bicarb is handy, I buy it in 10kg tubs.

John.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 09:06:16 PM »
I seem to remember reading once, possibly on here (?) that a good way of getting rid of the smell of fox poo is tomato ketchup  :shades: !!! 

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 09:28:24 PM »
I seem to remember reading once, possibly on here (?) that a good way of getting rid of the smell of fox poo is tomato ketchup  :shades: !!!

Sounds a bit random 😜😜
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 06:49:02 AM »

Sounds a bit random 😜😜

Gundogforum. UK

Re: Rolling in Fox poo
Post  by Sal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm sure you know about Tomato ketchup, or lemon juice if none in cupboard.
Scrunch into smelly area, wait approx 15 mins, shampoo with fairy liquid to get out the T.K. and rinse thoroughly, as washing up liquid will spread out. It does work and stops the stink.

:dunno: :dunno:
 ;)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 01:52:49 PM »
Jayne I think you are on the right track, when I was in the States I experienced the smell of a skunk, it had been in the yard and sprayed something and once smelted never forgotten anyway - they say tomato juice link here
https://www.petmd.com/dog/grooming/evr_dg_how-to-get-skunk-smell-off-dog

Must admit John they do seem a pair of little rascals you've got :005:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 08:39:02 PM »
Port and lemon saved the day: port for me and lemon juice on pups!

I’ll remember the tomato ketchup for next time, thanks for the tip!

Rascals?! Hmm, they have their moments; it was certainly a testing weekend! I’m so grateful that you guys helped me with Peanut as she’s doing a good job at showing the young one the ropes.

I do hope that Fox Poo is the worst thing they can roll in as surely nothing stinkier exists, bar Skunk Pee!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 09:22:09 PM »
A friend‘d dog who was visiting us a few years back rolled in human poo while we walking near a local pleasure spot,  >:D - that was probably the most disgusting excrement we‘ve ever had to deal with, not only the smell but the thought of it was even more revolting.... :020: :020

Offline ips

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 09:45:11 PM »
A friend‘d dog who was visiting us a few years back rolled in human poo while we walking near a local pleasure spot,  >:D - that was probably the most disgusting excrement we‘ve ever had to deal with, not only the smell but the thought of it was even more revolting.... :020: :020

Not even going to ask how that occured  😯
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 06:24:57 PM »
I’ve used the tomato ketchup before and it works  :shades:

Should of seen Ash yesterday (golden cocker with white bib and rear flaps) well she was liver all over, decided to jump into a pile of chicken shit  :o the joys of having a chicken farm up the road  ph34r

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 07:42:31 PM »
Goose poo is pretty rank too. Lots of it near the lake where  I used to live. A couple of my scotties loved it - washing it out of beards and eyebrows 🤮🤮🤮🤮. Human poo must take some beating though…….
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 07:59:19 AM »
I've had a dog who rolled in Human poo in the forest.
We lived in an apartment then too, so the only solution was to take her home and give her a shower in the bath - not a nice experience!
She also rolled in a decomposing seal or dolphin or something on the beach once - rancid fat all over her - lovely.

Salty is much better - doesnt even like water, and doesnt smell bad at all

But the only natural deodoriser I know that works 100% is not to let the dog inside

A Brazilian I know here said, 'Yup, he smells like a dog. That's because ..... he's a dog' :)