Author Topic: Advice on baby nappies for dogs  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Advice on baby nappies for dogs
« on: June 06, 2022, 05:06:11 PM »
Ollie is getting worse with his incontinence.  He takes both a water tab and steroids which of course compound the problem - at night a disposable male nappy used to just have a small amount in - but now they are heavy and more filled, during the morning I resort to my old Glendarcy bellie bands and add a supermarket ladies Tena pad and this works well as I can whip it of when he goes to the door etc.  But it would not take the amount at night.

By 2 o'clock he is clean as the tablets have worked off.  But I have noticed through the night in a deep sleep he has a medium accident.  The disposable pads work fine - sometimes I only need to use one others times its 2 if he wakes me to go out as the pad and he will be soaked, and the cost is about £10 for 10 or 12 nappies.

Not having kids I have only resorted to the odd change of nappy on my nieces when young and wonder if I cut the wing/sticky tape of whether I could secure in a bellie band.

Have seen on line that they are adapted by cutting a whole for tail, but it is a band around his belly that he is used to.

Would be glad of advice.

Any ideas.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Re: Advice on baby nappies for dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 10:06:33 PM »
Hi Julie,

Would it be worth getting something made to fit Ollie? Something that could have some kind of pad put inside to soak up? Something designed for him that he’s used to that would contain the liquid whilst fitting properly with a hole for his tail too?
It’s a looooooong time since I dealt with nappies but I remember some sort of plastic pants that went over cloth nappies.
I’m not much help as I’ve no experience but we do have a sewing machine and if you could do the template I’d give it a go? Or do you sew? I don’t know what a Glendarcy Bellie Band is but I’ll Google it.
I hope someone with more knowledge/better ideas logs in soon.

We’ve got 3 cockers, one is 11.5 so we’ll probably need something like this one day.

John.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 09:18:46 AM »
Thank you John....the Glendarcy is and has been a godsend and it comes with a washable clip in pad of which I have six - I have thought that is would work as a pad to hold nappy in place but my mother in law seemed to think it would not hold in place as sticky strips are not in right place...anyway I think for £2.50 for Asda ones will give it a try.  Idea about the pull ups to keep in place, although Sir would not like his tail sticking out me thinks.

The Glendarcy is great my only problem is the pads to retain well but trying to get the smell out of them is an art, water with lemon juice then hand wash and then they take ages to dry because of the layers.

Thanks again

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 09:33:18 PM »
What about nappy sanitiser, think it used to be called nappisan?  would that help with the smell.  BioD do an environmentally friendly one, I use their laundry bleach in the washing machine with a white wash, it is very gentle. 

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 08:31:39 AM »
Nappisan is a good idea.....I did try white vinegar soaks first but decided lemon juice was good idea.

The lady inco pads are great to just stick into belly band - so gives me a bit of a break.

Thank you

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 09:45:55 PM »
Hope it helps.  It's all about getting a balance.