Author Topic: Diabetes insipidus  (Read 905 times)

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
Diabetes insipidus
« on: June 21, 2022, 03:05:29 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of this? My 13 year old boy was diagnosed with this last year after a water deprivation test. He is on half a tablet of Desmopressin every 8 hours but he isn’t stable. We started on a lower dose (symptoms improved for a few months), then he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism so started thyforon (symptoms started coming back), vet increased the Desmopressin (symptoms improved for few months but now starting up again). He is only lasting about 2 hours before needing a wee.

He’s on skinners (senior) in morning and raw in evening.

Has anyone an experience or ideas? I’m starting to worry we are out of options!!

Thanks xxxx
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Diabetes insipidus
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 08:55:40 PM »
How much was he drinking before diagnosis?  How much now?
  Marti (springer with Epi, which is when the most of the pancreas has necrotised) was thought to have this as a side effect. The vet was concerned about kidney washout.  However as he treated her with lifesaving digestive enzymes, the ravenous thirst decreased., though her wee was always dilute  but kidneys ok. It was awful to see her veer obsessively towards any old water anywhere, and having to restrain her drinking  more than a couple of litres a day.  She would flood the utility room at night. And yes, the two hour limit!
What is his poo like? Is he losing weight despite eating well?
Other members may groan , because Marti’ s  condition was an autoimmune one, and she had all kinds of symptoms of failing organs , which have been in old posts, so I apologise .  Has your research into diabetes insipidus, online,  related it to other conditions?
She was never given drugs other than prednisone, none for the urine problem,  so I can’t comment on them . 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
Re: Diabetes insipidus
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 09:53:37 PM »
Hi,

Jack was probably drinking 500ml a day pre diagnoses. Urine no colour/concentration. Then went up to 1 litre just before they put him on Desmopressin. Then back down to 500-750ml. Urine concentrating but not as much as it should be. Started drinking more than 750 again. Dose of Desmopressin increased to half a tablet every 8 hours. Back down to 500ml-750ml for couple of months but Started drinking 1-1.5 litres last two days.
I’ve researched it a lot but not much info on it. My friend is a vet and he has only seen one dog with it so far. Poo is ok. Noticed it is white/chalky at times but not all the time. Weight prior to thyforon was fat. Since then, lost a fair bit of weight. About 14kg at mo. He’s a large cocker though.
Nicole xxxx :-)