Author Topic: Cannabis toxicity  (Read 1367 times)

Offline PennyB

Cannabis toxicity
« on: June 23, 2022, 08:20:34 AM »
I should've heeded the first warning after a woman told me several weeks ago that her dog had ended up in vets on a drip due to cannabis toxicity - as kids often smoke in a woodland my dogs go in ad most likely leave some of what they smoke so dogs might eat it.

I'd walked the dogs in the morning as it was hot but at lunchtime I noticed Hattie my sprocker pup (well she's half cocker) was acting strangely and her head wobbled when she sat still and then she would slide over. She couldn't run without wanting to lie down. So an hour later (after monitoring her) I rang the vets who saw her straight away. They immediately thought it was cannabis due to her eyes and slow responses. She had become dehydrated too - thankfully an antinausea jab solved that issue so she didn't have to go on a drip. After spending a few hours at the vets (and blood tests were clear), I picked up a rather spaced out dog and carried her home as she clearly wasn't herself but would most likely be fine. She had had bloods taken to rule out any other toxicity as symptoms suggested it was a toxic substance that was causing her symptoms.
Thankfully she is fine this morning and back to being a 6 month old pup

What was laughable were the comments on a social media platform for our local area as everyone decided they knew better than my vet and were accusing me of giving my dog heatstroke - thankfully friends who worked at vets put them straight (not that they would listen) as the 2 thing have different symptoms and I'd walked the dogs in shade when it was cooler.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Cannabis toxicity
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 11:01:50 AM »
Crikey that must have been scary for both of you, people seem to leave all sorts of things about from salad food/peanuts/pumpkins (when in season) in an old tree, old bread on open grass and all manner of other horrible stuff.

Pleased to read Hattie is non the worse off - but it would have been worrying for you to see her like that.  :huh:

As for social media, well I guess you will always get people who think they know better and are willing to contradict whatever the subject. Thank goodness you and the vet are on the ball, that is most important.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 11:13:21 AM »
Yes its seems a minefield some days walking dogs. Someone once scattered a whole Christmas cake on the ground at the entrance I use, and then I quickly dragged dogs back home then spent an hour clearing it all up
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 11:40:40 AM »
Glad to hear Hattie‘s back down to earth after her little space trip!   That must have been very frightening but good that the vet recognized it and that there‘s no damage done!
 :bigarmhug:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 02:56:37 PM »
Penny

What an awful experience both for Hattie and you.....must be honest never crossed my mind that this could occur.....what a mad world this is!

Glad Hattie is recovered....
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 06:01:46 PM »
Was at my vets just now and vets stopped between clients to ask how Hattie was. He was telling me that nicotine is the really killer though
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 08:52:42 PM »
That's awful, poor Hattie and poor you.  Glad you got her sorted and hopefully she will be back to normal soon.  I didn't know that about nicotine.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 08:17:08 AM »
Poor wee dog. I wonder how many woodland creatures have sampled the funny fags    >:(
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 10:35:17 AM »
Poor wee dog. I wonder how many woodland creatures have sampled the funny fags    >:(
Lesley

Yes people forget about that re wildlife as they suffer too
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 06:54:00 PM »
Hope Hattie is fully recovered now.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 11:13:24 AM »
Yes thanks Hattie (& Bosley it seems) has recovered. I was walking dogs yesterday and could smell dope all the way across the park from those woodlands
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 06:50:08 PM »
That's good news, pleased they are both back to full health.  An absolute pain that you can't walk them without worrying drugs lying about.