Author Topic: Soft poos!  (Read 1503 times)

Offline dawn

Soft poos!
« on: July 28, 2022, 10:03:26 AM »
Henry has had diarrhoea and soft poos for a few weeks now.

He is on a bland diet of fish and rice, pieces of chicken, and Royal Cannin digestive kibble. He had a good few days this week, but was back to ice cream soft scoop consistency ( sorry if you’re eating an ice cream at the mo! ) yesterday.

He has had one course of antibiotics and he has tested positive for campylobacter, poo test. The vet wants to try a different antibiotic. But we’re unsure. I have read many dogs carry this bacteria anyhow, and it should be self limiting as anyone had experience of this?

He’s 11 1/2, and has had no problems before. We haven’t done blood tests yet.

Thanks for any advice, it’s so difficult choosing what to do, especially since he tends to be I’ll with antibiotics anyway.

Offline sophie.ivy

Re: Soft poos!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 10:45:16 AM »
Sorry to hear this Dawn! It's so worrying when they have tummy troubles. I grew up with sheltland sheepdogs who have very sensitive stomachs and one of them was always either having tummy trouble, recovering from it, or just about to have it  :dunno:

I know all dogs are different and have different food reactions, but we found with all our shelties that chicken (even plain and boiled) wasn't easy for them to digest so just fed rice, white fish and the occasional boiled potato/ bland mash when they were poorly. We also used Hills Gastrointestinal wet food for the younger dog who had giardia and took longer to bounce back. She also reacted badly to the pro-fibre pellets the vets suggested, as did my cocker pup actually when she had a tummy bug before Christmas (just thought that was worth mentioning in case you've been using them).

I don't have any experience of antibiotic use for campylobacter so hopefully others have some advice.

Wishing Henry a speedy recovery!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 11:47:26 AM »
These cockers and their tums, aye. Branston my youngest (8 at the end of August) seems to go through good and bad times too, the last time about a couple of weeks ago the vet prescribed antibiotics (Metrocare) and Purina Proplan Fortiflora Sachets.

Edited to add

Hi Dawn After having read bizzylizzy's post and some info online about campalyobacter, if your vet has diagnosed it in your dog, then I think you would be best taking his/her advice. Sorry for any confusion and best wishes for a speedy recovery for Henry
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 01:04:22 PM »
Hi, I may be completely wrong here so do stand to be corrected, but - my husband picked up campalyobacter on a business trip a few years ago, the likely source was chicken eaten in a hotel and he was extremely ill and our GP had to report it it the local health authority who had to follow it up and trace the source. It is very contagious and I do find it hard to imagine it is self limiting in dogs. (?)  while I really do sympathize  with you being reluctant to use any other antibiotics, this wretched campalyobacter is really really horrible so if indeed poor Henry does have it, I‘d definately advise treating it.
Like I said, I‚m not sure about whether it can be passed from dogs to humans but I just felt I had to point out how nasty it can befor people.
When Humphrey‘s tummy was upset due to antibiotics the vet suggested a probiotic powder to restore the intestinal flora which worked really well.
Hope Henry‘s feeling better soon!  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 07:13:44 PM »
Hi, I may be completely wrong here so do stand to be corrected, but - my husband picked up campalyobacter on a business trip a few years ago, the likely source was chicken eaten in a hotel and he was extremely ill and our GP had to report it it the local health authority who had to follow it up and trace the source. It is very contagious and I do find it hard to imagine it is self limiting in dogs. (?)  while I really do sympathize  with you being reluctant to use any other antibiotics, this wretched campalyobacter is really really horrible so if indeed poor Henry does have it, I‘d definately advise treating it.
Like I said, I‚m not sure about whether it can be passed from dogs to humans but I just felt I had to point out how nasty it can befor people.
When Humphrey‘s tummy was upset due to antibiotics the vet suggested a probiotic powder to restore the intestinal flora which worked really well.
Hope Henry‘s feeling better soon!  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Yes I agree, having read the post more carefully and online info, something that serious needs treating properly to heal Henry and to stop it spreading, (have changed my post accordingly)
[/color][/b]
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline dawn

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 07:47:48 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.

We have decided to try the antibiotics, picking them up today. I’ve also ordered the yumove pre and probiotics tablets as well.

This is the leaflet I was reading… https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/Media_454948_smxx.pdf, it’s from the University of Glasgow School of Vet medicine, so it should be reliable. It says it’s mostly ‘self resolving’ and antibiotics aren’t always needed…but since Henry has had problems for a while now it’s time to give then a go!

I’ll let you know how he gets on. Xx

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 08:59:38 AM »
Sorry only just read this - you need Yumove Digest plus powder sachets in first instance, it is probiotic powder but is contain Montmorillonite powder.

It is a godsend for my Ollie, the powder sorts it out quickly and then the digest tablets.  I use one sachet for 4 days then split the other 2 in half till gone.

My only concern would be to check with vet when collecting medication.

My vet has a display of all Yumove products including the powder, but Montmorillonite is a very fine clay similar to kaolin.

But for the future it might help.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 12:53:26 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.

We have decided to try the antibiotics, picking them up today. I’ve also ordered the yumove pre and probiotics tablets as well.

This is the leaflet I was reading… https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/Media_454948_smxx.pdf, it’s from the University of Glasgow School of Vet medicine, so it should be reliable. It says it’s mostly ‘self resolving’ and antibiotics aren’t always needed…but since Henry has had problems for a while now it’s time to give then a go!

I’ll let you know how he gets on. Xx

Thanks for posting that, it’s interesting!. It does mention that there are different strains, I wasn’t aware of that  so I conclude that the one which my hubby and several of his colleagues had was clearly not the same as Henry has (thank goodness!) as their symptoms  were far more serious than are described there.
I do apologise if I caused unnecessary worry   but when I read Campalyobacter the alarm bells starting ringing, so sorry  :doh:
Wishing Henry a speedy recover and hope he manages on the antibiotics without too many side effects!  :luv:

Offline dawn

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 09:11:42 AM »

No need to apologise bizzylizzy! Henry has had problems for a while, and he’s elderly so we decided to try them.

We picked up the antibiotics on Friday, and decided to wait until Monday, since there’s a chance he could vomit and be I’ll, and the vets would be closed. Of course, since then, his poos have been perfect, in fact quite solid yesterday!  :005: So we’ll see how it goes again. We might not need them.  ;)

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 10:04:17 AM »
That's good news! And typical that it seems to have cleared up after the vet trip and bill!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 12:31:02 PM »
We put Gemma on eukanuba sensitive digest food after she had about of delly belly. We kept her on it for many years until changing now to senior
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----