Author Topic: Dogs and Fruit  (Read 7448 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Dogs and Fruit
« on: January 31, 2003, 06:36:19 PM »
Wonder if anyone can help with what is or isn't harmful to dogs as far as fruit is concerned.  When Chloe started with AIHA many moons ago I did a lot of food research, alternative diets etc.  I read about the dangers of chocolate (a bitter blow to Chloe) and also grapes.  I recalled way back from my nursing days that grapes can cause fluid retention so I never gave these to Chloe anyway.  However, she has now started with a huge craving for oranges and tomatoes with bananas coming a close third.  Is there any info on these fruits?  If any of them turn out to be harmful I am going to have one very sulky dog on my hands.....                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Dogs and Fruit
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 09:36:19 AM »
Don't know about fruit in general but I am 100% sure that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs and can kill.  Like chocolate, different dogs probably have different tolerance levels but only recently two dogs died having got into a box of raisins.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dogs and Fruit
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 09:58:43 AM »
Jo's right - raisins & grapes can be very dangerous to dogs if they eat enough of them although one or two won't do much harm. Most other fruits & veg are fine - ours like apples, bananas, strawberries, melon ....you name it really :)                    
Jane

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Dogs and Fruit
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 10:26:34 AM »
I never knew that :) I did know about chocolate though. I'll just have to keep her out of the fruit bowl ;D                    
Anita

Offline Inca

• Site Member
Dogs and Fruit
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 11:08:15 AM »
Been watching this with interest as mother in law has a poodle( her choice not mine ???) that also enjoys fruit. As for Inca he hasn't tried it yet but I'm sure he will in time ;D ;D ;D                    
Sandra, John and Inca

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Dogs and Fruit
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 12:59:26 PM »
Buttons loves fruit...and veg too :D, raw carrott, apple, bananas, anything really :)                    

Elaine

Dogs and Fruit
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 12:27:27 PM »
My house dogs have always been fruitholics , in particular oranges , apples and pears. Della [Sh Ch.So Sad Cinderella] has a piece of each every day, it is impossible to eat fruit without sharing with her, I have even found stalks , where she has helped herself , probably fed up of waiting, must say it is the first time I have heard about grapes being bad for them, we always share a bunch of grapes!!
ET                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dogs and Fruit
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 12:50:41 PM »
..must say it is the first time I have heard about grapes being bad for them, we always share a bunch of grapes!!
ET

Hi Elaine

Nice to see you on Cockers Online :) Here's a link to an article relating to the possible risks of grapes when eaten by dogs : http://vetprof.com/grapes.pdf It's a pdf file so you'll need Acrobat Reader to read it. There has also been a few cases recently of dogs poisoned by raisins - I think these cases were featured in Dog World.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Dogs and Fruit
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 01:06:01 PM »
Hello Elaine - welcome to the group, nice to see you here.

My folks had a cairn terrier that loved grapes too. The greatest thing was watching her play with them first. One grape would last for hours as she threw it around before finally eating it ;D I don't think she was ever in danger of eating too many ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Dogs and Fruit
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 11:07:05 PM »
Chloe the wonder dog will be pleased that she can eat her clementines with impunity now.  I can't eat one in peace or slice a darn tomato without her appearing out of nowhere.   ;D  Poor soul, she needs more fruit and less rich tea, she is starting to look like a Butterball turkey... :(                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Dogs and Fruit
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2003, 10:29:49 PM »
..must say it is the first time I have heard about grapes being bad for them, we always share a bunch of grapes!!
ET

Hi Elaine

Nice to see you on Cockers Online :)

Jane

I'll second that, welcome Elaine, hope you enjoy the site as much as the rest of us do :)
PS For reasons that may become apparent, Otis 8) thinks this is one cool lady ;D and says that he'll be happy to come and peel a grape for Della anytime (hope Ruby's not seeing this) :o