Author Topic: New to this!  (Read 1348 times)

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
New to this!
« on: April 22, 2006, 05:27:12 PM »
My family and I have finally decided to take the plunge and get ourselves a cocker spaniel puppy.

I have just discovered this site and am finding it really useful.

We are still researching local breeders and finding out as much info as we can. As it is such a big commitment to get a dog, we want everything to be just right. It's all a little scary too!

The information on this site is brilliant and has been very helpful. It's fascinating to read about other peoples experiences, the highs and the lows.

We are still not sure whether or not to go for a boy or a girl or even what colour! It's all so exciting! if anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know.

I'll let you know how the search goes!

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
Re: New to this!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 06:15:01 PM »
i'm new today also. welcome.good luck in your search for a puppy the only advise i'd give is prepare to have your heart melted you will find it almost impossible to not pick a puppy from a litter you look at. i have boys and am a little biased in that direction so much fun and full of themselves. my friend has a bitch the mother of one of my boys and she is a delight too. 
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline JoanneM

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 06:45:50 PM »
Hi and welcome, and well done for choosing a cocker spaniel. They are an amazing breed.  :D

Before I had Murphy i'd only had bitches, and my familys dogs have always been bitches.  I didn't really want a boy but seeing the litter he stood out and was so gorgeous  :luv:  i just had to have him, and I can honestly say i can't tell much difference (apart from the obvious). He's actually a little more affectionate and a real mummys boy.  :angel:

It is a massive commitment having a dog but its so rewarding and its brilliant that you are researching and taking time to find the perfect pooch for you. Good luck.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 06:50:19 PM »
Welcome to COL

Good luck in your search.  I went to see a breeder friends puppies with NO INTENTION of having one!

But yep, I came away with ***** just had her over a week now. :luv:

Prepare your house for a crawling toddler in to EVERYTHING just before you take one home.

We also have 7 yr old black lab. (dog)  so that influenced us in to getting a female rather than a dog.
After speaking to RSPCA, they said it be easier for *** to handle a female.
Lots of things to look into if it's your first ever dog.  COLers are a great source of information and really friendly, I'm a newbie here.

Good luck with your research and let us know how you get on.

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL.  You've made the right choice about breed - Cockers are just the best!   :luv: As long as you've found a good breeder, and I'm sure you've done your research and read the info on here about good breeders, I don't think it matters about the sex you choose, it's really personal preference.  Some people I know would only ever have bitches, while others only dogs.  I think it depends on other family pets and their characteristics.  If we got another one I'd like a bitch so I have one of each, but Milo's so laid back around other dogs I don't think there would be problems if we got another boy.  With regards to colour, some are more readily available than others, but I can pretty much guarantee that if you find a breeder and litter that meet all your criteria, once you go to see them you'll fall in love with all of them and probably won't give much thought to colour!   :005:
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 10:18:18 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the comments. All the advice is greatly appreciated.

I'll keep you posted.

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 01:01:10 AM »
Hello, welcome to col. Which ever you chose it will be love at first sight despite sex and colour. :luv:

We have a 5 month old black girl :luv:

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 12:58:10 PM »
Welcome to COL  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 05:26:04 PM »
My family and I have finally decided to take the plunge and get ourselves a cocker spaniel puppy.

I have just discovered this site and am finding it really useful.

We are still researching local breeders and finding out as much info as we can. As it is such a big commitment to get a dog, we want everything to be just right. It's all a little scary too!

The information on this site is brilliant and has been very helpful. It's fascinating to read about other peoples experiences, the highs and the lows.

We are still not sure whether or not to go for a boy or a girl or even what colour! It's all so exciting! if anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know.

I'll let you know how the search goes!

Hi and welcome to COL...you've found the best place to be! :D
The most important thing about finding a puppy is finding a breeder tht health tests ; eyes (preferably optigen testing which can find the gene which carries/doesn't carry P.R.A..alot of breeders have now started in this relatively new method of eye testing) also hip scoring is often done with cockers. ;)
With colour it is usually personal prefrance, as is with sex...the obvious differences with sexes are seasons with bitches and dogs tend to be slghtly bigger ;)

Good luck! :D

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 06:34:37 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL.

I would only repeat the good advice you have been given about looking for a reputable breeder, and being prepared to wait for just the right pup.

15 month old Buddy is our first cocker, but we know we will be sticking with them now, he's fantastic.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:21:39 AM »
Hi and welcome to COL. Glad to hear you've decided to go for a cocker, you won't regret it!

I've got Alfie, a 15 week old blue roan working cocker boy. I've always had bitches before but when I saw him I couldn't resist, he's fantastic but I think really it comes down to personal preference and getting a well bred healthy puppy from properly screened parents is by far the most important thing rather than its sex or colour. Have fun choosing though!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 10:05:28 AM »
Hello and Welcome - good luck with your search    :D
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee