Author Topic: Travel Sedatives  (Read 6352 times)

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Travel Sedatives
« on: March 26, 2003, 10:20:51 AM »
Does anybody know of a herbal sedative to give to dogs for long journeys?  The vet ones are a bit strong - I don't want them wobbly for 12 hours...  :-                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Travel Sedatives
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 11:05:00 AM »
Here's an old thread on travel sickness Jo. Someone mentions a herbal remeby called Travella, though I personally havent heard of it. Hope you find this useful :)

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=233;start=0                    

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Travel Sedatives
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 11:34:17 AM »
Thanks for that Mike... It's not sickness so much as stress.  Although Billy goes in the car on a daily basis and on long journeys a few times a year, he gets quite stressed unless he can sit on the back seat  (which isn't safe).  He's restless, pants a lot and the saliva  :o he can soak a couple of towels in no time.  Amber just curls up and goes to sleep but I've never known Billy lie down in the car - let alone sleep!  I'm going up to Scotland in my friend's van, which is equipped with crates and I've a feeling he'll probably whine and bark most of the way  :(                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Travel Sedatives
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 02:57:38 PM »
You could try Skullcap & Valerian - this is a herbal "calm down" combination or Valerian on its own in liquid form which is stronger. Dorwest supply this remedy (http://www.dorwest.com/medicines_vet.htm or you could pop along to your local health food shop & get the human equivalent - My Mum used to give their old dog "Kalms" which are herbal sedative tablets & they certainly calmed him down (he hated travelling!)

HTH

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Travel Sedatives
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 03:18:03 PM »
You could try Skullcap & Valerian - this is a herbal "calm down" combination or Valerian on its own in liquid form which is stronger. Dorwest supply this remedy (http://www.dorwest.com/medicines_vet.htm or you could pop along to your local health food shop & get the human equivalent - My Mum used to give their old dog "Kalms" which are herbal sedative tablets & they certainly calmed him down (he hated travelling!)

HTH

Jane

That's a really good site Jane  :) just what I was looking for.  I'm going to order the Skullcap and Valerian.  On a different subject - have you (or anybody else) used Rhus Tox for joint problems?                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Travel Sedatives
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 08:50:17 PM »
I used Rhus Tox on Brook for a while but I can't say how well it worked cos I had to put it into food and you don't get the full benefit of it that way. He really only has stiffness when getting up after lying down for a while so i didn't feel keeping him on Metacam was worth it but didn't want to not give him anything. He is now on Walthams Mobility Support which he seems to be doing very well on - its basically just green lipped mussel. I did use Dorwest's herbal product for joints(can't remember the name of it now) but that was quite good. I'm about to do a course in alternative treatment for dogs as I find it completely fascinating.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Travel Sedatives
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 08:55:57 PM »
Hope there is something on that course about AIHA Jo.  Anything that might help a bit more...... :-                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Travel Sedatives
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 08:57:20 PM »
Gill, I meant Gill  lol  Sorry, it is nearly 9pm and I tend to get confused later on at night... :-[                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline shaendix

• Site Member
    • espanielcockerspaniels.co.nz
Travel Sedatives
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2003, 10:28:27 AM »
I have used Rhus Tox it is really useful as a sprain / strain remedy. Also good for dogs / people who suffer Rheumatic pain - the kind that improves once you get moving for the day.  You should be able to get it as a spray - this is the best form to give dogs - just a squirt into the mouth.  Otherwise I break up the tabs and put it in the water at night.

I have used Rescue Remedy for dogs that are nervous travellers and found it to be quite helpful.