Author Topic: roan or solid  (Read 5292 times)

Offline maz26uk

• Site Member
roan or solid
« on: April 03, 2003, 10:16:56 AM »
Hi, i no you probably get asked this loads but is it true that solid colours can have a somewhat aggressive nature ( sorry to any solid owners i'm not tryin to upset anyone! :)).? I have blue roan who is 9 months and am hoping to get another pup next january/ february when minty will be 20 months old and would love a solid. Any comments advice would be greatfully received. ;)                    

Offline Christine

• Site Member
roan or solid
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 10:25:19 AM »
Hello!!!!  Not that I know of, we have a chocolate cocker (solid) and he is fine ;D                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Anonymous

roan or solid
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 10:27:04 AM »
more than fine hes gorgeous  ;)  (sorry just had to add that )  ;D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
roan or solid
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 10:31:26 AM »
There has been incidence of a condition popularly known as Rage Syndrome which is more commonly seen in the solid Cocker but it has to be stressed that this condition is rare & it is no reason to avoid buying a solid puppy, provided you do your homework & buy from a reputable breeder. More info can be found on www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk. Poor temperaments can sometimes be seen in all the colours, especially in pups bought from puppy farms/dealers. We have discussed this before a few times & here is a link to one thread on the subject:http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=589                    
Jane

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
roan or solid
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 03:04:13 PM »
Amber's a gold and isn't aggressive  ;D                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
roan or solid
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 01:15:35 PM »
I have a golden boy and he is so gentle with children and other animals.  Had a visit last week from a 7 week old collie pup and Morgan spent the whole hour putting up with this whipper snapper biting his legs and his butt  :o - was there one sign of complaint? no way!  :D
His favourite pastime is jumping up on the couch for a cuddle  ;)
He is, however, by no means a pushover, he has a mind of his own and often needs to be reminded who's boss  ::) - mind you I think that's a general cocker trait, not confined to solids.   ;D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
roan or solid
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 01:37:07 PM »
He is, however, by no means a pushover, he has a mind of his own and often needs to be reminded who's boss  ::) - mind you I think that's a general cocker trait, not confined to solids.   ;D

Absolutely Shirley ;D                    
Jane

Offline lolly

• Site Member
roan or solid
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 02:39:08 PM »
ive got a gold and white cocker and hes is too affectiontive at times a real mummys boy but my black and tan can be a bit tempermental at times especially during her seasons  ::) ::)i think it doesnt matter what colour the cocker is every dog is different                    

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
roan or solid
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 10:05:42 PM »
I have a black, golden and a blue. All totally different in nature. Our black is the boss even though he is the only on to have the snip. Hes not aggrssive in any way, but hes in charge of the other 2. The Archie the blue is just plain daft, but in charge of Sonny our gold, who is just a big soft baby.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Anonymous

roan or solid
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2003, 09:30:19 PM »
but my black and tan can be a bit tempermental at times

whoooooahhhh there, black and tan???? tell me more, jessie isn't the only black and tan girly then  ;D come introduce yourself... how old, name... piccys!!!!!!!!!                    

Offline lolly

• Site Member
roan or solid
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 05:35:28 PM »
:jhi my name is louise i have 2 cockers one is a female black and tan called tansy and my male dog is louis who is gold and white i hope to breed i havent seen any black and tans sice ive logged onto cockers online i will send pics soon when ive worked out how to on my computer it can be a mad house here at times when my 2 crazy cockers fight nonstop why do they do this then are they trying to establish who is pack leader please help me                    

Anonymous

roan or solid
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 05:39:04 PM »
well look no further Jessie is black and tan..  ;D thouht she was the only black and tan girl...how old is tansy??  jessie is 1 year                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
roan or solid
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2003, 09:53:19 AM »
Hi Lolly

My dog's mum was black and tan and is also called Tansy (short for Tanfastic)  Candy is solid black but if you look at her muzzle and 'eyebrows' you can see a feint tan coming through just like her mum

Loraine.  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
roan or solid
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2003, 10:08:08 AM »
Hi, i no you probably get asked this loads but is it true that solid colours can have a somewhat aggressive nature ( sorry to any solid owners i'm not tryin to upset anyone! :)).? I have blue roan who is 9 months and am hoping to get another pup next january/ february when minty will be 20 months old and would love a solid. Any comments advice would be greatfully received. ;)

Just seen this, I keep solid and parti-coloured cockers. All have their own personalities but most importantly all have excellent temprements.
Thought You might like to know a lovely red girl I bred has just qualified as a registered PAT dog! So I think the most important thing is to choose your breeder carefully. That applies to any colour.
Tracey. :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
roan or solid
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 10:27:13 AM »
So I think the most important thing is to choose your breeder carefully. That applies to any colour.
Tracey. :)

Very true Tracey :) Unfortunately I believe the original enquirer has had to give up her Cocker but the advice still stands - potential puppy owners need to do their homework & find reputable breeders & breeders need to be scrupulous about only breeding from Cockers with excellent temperaments (whatever the colour), so Lolly, if your bitch is temperamental, I would perhaps suggest it's not a good idea to breed from her, sorry :(                    
Jane