Author Topic: Lupi Harnesses  (Read 13546 times)

Anonymous

Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2003, 11:56:26 AM »
have never used a lupi or a halti or anything else 'arness' wise... I use a half check collar as that is what I was advised by the trainer to get, although it set to never tighten on her neck I wouldn't allow that.  It doesn't tighten any tighter than a normal collar and that was ok with he trainer,
but now I am thinking halto or lupi might be the way to go...although a recent trip to pet shop showed me that the ones they stock are about £30...is that right?? cos Nicki's seemed really cheap in comparison, now I am not tight with money but if that fails and she doesn't get on with it, I have wasted £30...and I would rather not...catch me drift??..well anyway I would love to know of some decent stockists, mind you I spose its best to shop where I can try it on Jessie as you all know shes a tad lardy (well I think so) and she is probably in x x large size  ::)  maybe a trip to another larger store is in order... *tapping foot waiting for hubby to come home*                    

Offline viv

• Site Member
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2003, 02:25:32 PM »
Hi,
Colin i have the same problem with William... he pulls no matter what i do...i spent a week getting no where except 3 doors down the road either way because every time he pulled i turned the other way where upon he pulled in that direction :-
He is at the moment on a normal collar but the noise coming from his throat is scary, i have tried   the halti...he pulled...the lupi...it rubbed...sitting on the ground and crying  ;) that didn't work so i am going back to a normal harness...it doesn't help the pulling but won't harm his neck.
Viv                    
Viv and William send love and wags

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2003, 03:45:02 PM »
but now I am thinking halto or lupi might be the way to go...although a recent trip to pet shop showed me that the ones they stock are about £30...is that right??

Canine Chemists have Lupi harnesses for sale for under £6 & Haltis for something like £7, so it's probably worth you doing a search online Lynsey :) Canine Chemists have a site at http://www.hyperdrug.com/store/ though you might want to send for their brochure which is packed full of doggy items at good prices.                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2003, 03:49:37 PM »
Boy are you right Colin  ;D
The extending lead seems like the perfect option when you have a young pup and aren't ready to let them off lead in public, but I made a rod for my own back :(.  When I first got Morgan I used it quite a lot but then we ended up with pulling problems.  I bought a halti and put it on - couldn't even bring myself to attach the lead - he went MENTAL  :o - I couldn't bare to see him so distressed and took it off straight away.  If anyone wants to try it, it's brand new and free to good home!!  ;)
Puppy classes have made a difference.  Talking to him all the time keeps his attention, not to mention a pocket full of gravy bones, and a half-check collar ;D.  He now only pulls for the first couple of minutes of the walk - till the excitement wears off - he starts to concentrate on the important business of sniffing.  :)
P.S  My vet advised against a harness as he said it would just let him pull in comfort and he'd never learn to walk on a loose lead  :-.  Mind you they do seem to work for some people.  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Anonymous

Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2003, 09:32:39 AM »
but now I am thinking halto or lupi might be the way to go...although a recent trip to pet shop showed me that the ones they stock are about £30...is that right??

Canine Chemists have Lupi harnesses for sale for under £6 & Haltis for something like £7, so it's probably worth you doing a search online Lynsey :) Canine Chemists have a site at http://www.hyperdrug.com/store/ though you might want to send for their brochure which is packed full of doggy items at good prices.

thanks jane, although I did buy a Mikki walk rite harness on saturday, but now I am not sure of it, it looks all fiddly to put on, I looked at the cannac harnesses but was steered away from them cos they tol me they wereot training harness just walking harnesses, but now I am thinkin I want to take this back... it looks like it cant be nice for her to wear  :'(                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2003, 09:33:22 AM »
Phoebe doesn't pull but she does still creep forward and comes back to heel when reminded. We have had to really reallt reinforce this. We keep her on a very short lead so she can't walk in front. If she does we walk the other way.

Its still very frustrating!!!!!!!                    
Anita

Anonymous

Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2003, 02:14:38 PM »
well I took the silly harness cafangled thingy back to the shop, it was all my effort to get the silly thing on Jessie.

bought a halti to try, although the size 2 recommended on the packet was far too big for her and so got the size 1...   anyone else had good results with the halti?? please say you did..  ;D                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2003, 04:09:49 PM »
I'm currently trying the halti out on my springer, Lynsey.

She doesnt like it very much! But it stops her pulling, so I do ;D  I also dont find it the easiest thing to put on -  but you get used to it, as much as your dog will. I got the number 2 size as my springer's a little larger than the cocker. As we're walking along, she does try to scrape the collar off with her paw, but i'm not going to give in just yet - I'll give it a few more months to see how she adapts. If in the end she doesnt get used to it, I'll probably try some other collars/harnesses. To be honest though, I think the key is about persevering - your dog will resist, and you may feel bad about her seeming to dislike it so much, but you have to be firm and give it some time for the dog to get used to it (or not). Some people dont like collars such as the halti, because their dogs seem to dislike them so much - you'll have to try it, assess how Jessie reacts and see what you are comfortable with.                    

Offline Inca

• Site Member
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2003, 08:15:02 PM »
The only problem I have with Inca is pulling on the lead. It isn't constant, sometimes he walks beautifully, but more often than not he pulls at some point on the walk. I too have tried walking in the opposite direction to the one he is pulling.........result.... I KEEP GOING DIZZY ::) ::) I do lead pratice in the garden..............result...........he waks beautifully to heel.
Try the same thing outside...NO CHANCE :'( :
If anyone finds the solution let me know Pleeeeease ;D                    
Sandra, John and Inca

Anonymous

Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2003, 09:35:49 PM »
thanks Mike, I will persevere  ;D I have put the haltio on at times to get her used to it and she was ok with it after a while, mind you the pigs ears helped somewhat  ;)