Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Lupi Harnesses

<< < (3/5) > >>

Pammy:
Colin

You should persevere. I think from what you have said you have a really good tool available to you. As soon as Jimmy starts pulling towards the park - go straight in the other direction, even if it means he never makes it to the park. You should gradually be able to get closer and closer without him pulling. He sees the park as his reward and excitement and pulling is getting him what he wants.

My problem is the two together - Jasper pulls and Buddy follows. Alone they are much better :-                    

*Jay*:
I tried the lupi with vegas but didn't like it at all. the protective bits kept slipping forward leaving the rope to rub against him. I have another harness, mikki one i think which is marginally better but the fight we have to get it on just isn't worth it. Absolutely loved the halti but they don't do a size that fits him well. I have also tried the walking backwards, figure of 8 etc but it doesn't really make any difference and when he pulls, he practically crawls along the ground making a horrible throaty noise                    

Colin:
Thanks, Pammy...........he is so good in many ways but this pulling is really starting to bug me ! >:(

The other day I parked directly opposite the park gate, every time we went to cross the road he'd start pulling so I'd turn back, make him sit on the kerb again for a bit then try again. I did this for 10 minutes.....god knows how many times we did it. Even after all this he was no better.....with time ticking away on my pay and display ticket I gave in. Up until a few weeks ago he would have started to walk to heel after a couple of times (albeit with a rather strange waddle ! ;D)......I can't understand why he's suddenly got so bad.

He's at his worst when he needs a poo in the mornings ( I haven't got a garden, so can almost understand this ) but it still happens when he doesn't. I think I will dig out the halti and if that fails get the trainer in. Maybe I should clip the lead to his top knot.....am sure that would work ! ;D                    

Colin:
Oh, yes......anyone thinking of using an extendable lead on a puppy.....DONT DO IT.......I'm sure this is what has caused Jimmy to be so bad now. His instinct is now to pull thinking the lead will extend when he does it.....the biggest mistake I made with him !                    

Pammy:

--- Quote from: Colin on April 11, 2003, 10:46:53 PM ---
Oh, yes......anyone thinking of using an extendable lead on a puppy.....DONT DO IT.......I'm sure this is what has caused Jimmy to be so bad now. His instinct is now to pull thinking the lead will extend when he does it.....the biggest mistake I made with him !

--- End quote ---

Absolutely right Colin. Flexi leads are only any good when they understand recall and not pulling out of control in the first place ;D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version