Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Lupi Harnesses

<< < (2/5) > >>

viv:
Hi,
I put William in a Lupi and it worked well until he became VERY sore under his leg (only on one side)... i took him to the vet last week and he said it was rope burn from the Lupi so came away with cream to rub in the sore...clearing up now but won't go back to it.  Again i have tried everything to stop Will's from pulling and so far nothing seems to help :-
Viv                    

Jo W:

--- Quote from: viv on April 11, 2003, 04:37:35 PM ---Hi,
I put William in a Lupi and it worked well until he became VERY sore under his leg (only on one side)... i took him to the vet last week and he said it was rope burn from the Lupi so came away with cream to rub in the sore...clearing up now but won't go back to it.  Again i have tried everything to stop Will's from pulling and so far nothing seems to help :-
Viv

--- End quote ---

The Lupi harnesses rub because they're not 'fixed' and as the ropes tighten and loosen, they rub.  Mum tried a Canac harness next and because these are fixed (you alter them to fit the dog's body) they don't rub.  I don't know whether harnesses stop dogs pulling, but they do save dogs from damaging their throats.  :)                    

Christine:
Excuse my thickness ::) whats a lupi harness????  We bought a harness for jasper that is metal with black rubber pads that goes round his chest and under his legs.  Is this the same thing?

::) ::) ::)useless me again (I am blonde though)                    

jakieboy:
Hi christine - it's something similar - lupi is just the brand name.

As for the soreness - doesn't seem to be affecting ebbie at all - maybe cos her fur is so thick, or maybe it's because it's slightly too big so loosens as soon as she doesn't pull.

And the matting - ebbie gets groomed regularly as well so if it did tangle it a little bit - it would be brushed out every day.

I did look for the one with the rubber padding - but my local pet store only stocked the lupi, but now that i now a harness like this works - if i do find that ebbie gets sore - i can look for one that has padding - there are some - just can't find the mag to tell you all.  After my experience with a halti - i didn't want to spend loads of money only to find it made no difference.  The harness makes such a difference to me - that i would now spend more - if i can find a suitable one.

Nikki xx                    

Colin:
I use a harness on Jimmy....not sure of the brand but it is made of 3/4 inch strapping......and yes, it does cause matting under the armpits. Unfortunately I haven't had the success that Jakieboy has had re the pulling.

Jimmy is mostly ok on the lead but in certain circumstances is the worst puller imaginable. From the car to the park he is a nightmare.....a couple of times pulling so badly he's walking on his hind legs. The harness worked fine at first..... until he found a new way of pulling was required...using the shoulders rather than the neck. When I tried going back to a normal collar and lead he fell on his head, he'd got so used to pulling using his shoulders for power with the harness ! As Jo says, I'm primarily using the harness now to prevent neck injury as it doesn't stop the pulling.

I had one disastrous attempt at using a halti.....might try again though soon as he seems to be getting worse rather than better. I've had other cocker owners telling me I'm wasting my time even attempting to try and curb pulling cos that's what cockers do....... but surely it's worth persisting with ? I've tried all the usual things: stopping and making him sit, turning back to the car (even putting him back in it) and also walking in a figure 8 .....he does as I say but as soon as we head towards the park again his desperation to get there takes over and after a few paces of walking to heel he's off again ! I'm considering getting a trainer to help me soon as I feel I've exhausted every avenue now.

If anyone can reccomend a harness that doesn't cause matting or burning I'd be very grateful !                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version