Author Topic: Hot cockers  (Read 6487 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Hot cockers
« on: June 16, 2003, 03:26:10 PM »
I dunno about any one elses bundle of madness, teeth and fur, but this warm weather is definitely getting to poor little Millie - she's lying flat out at the moment and panting  :(

and she'll stay like that until about 8:30pm when it cools down and then she have a mad fit for about half an hour, running around and chasing any thing that looks remotely ball like !!   ::)

does anyone have any tricks for cooling them down? she's got plenty of fresh water (which I have to admit I have put ice cubes in  ::)  ) and I have also given her a couple of ice cubes - she thinks they're great and chases them across the laminate flooring and looks confused when they're gone!                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Hot cockers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 03:35:15 PM »
we have this cool tip (get it  ;D) of filling old coke bottles with water, then putting them in the freezer. We get them out when they're frozen solid, and the dogs like to lie on top of them to keep cool. We found this especially useful if going on a longish car journies, as we regularly zoom down the M4 and this can be quite hard on the dogs in the summer heat  :)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Hot cockers
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 03:50:36 PM »
A paddling pool in the garden will go down a storm ;D It'll soon be empty though - gives them a bit of a rinse down at the same time ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Hot cockers
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 03:54:22 PM »
Hey, I nearly bought a  paddling pool for MYSELF at the weekend!  ;D                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Hot cockers
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 04:04:05 PM »
Hey, I nearly bought a  paddling pool for MYSELF at the weekend!  ;D

looking rather sheepish - i've already got one!!!! (and no i have not got any kids)

We have got sloping gardens and we were discussing with the neighbours setting up a water slide for a giggle (our average age being 27 - going on 5!) ;D                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Hot cockers
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 04:25:03 PM »
Our cockers love the tiled floor in the dining room - it stays cold and they sprall on it - you have to step over the bodies!!!!                    
Clare

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Anonymous

Hot cockers
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 04:52:32 PM »
Our cockers love the tiled floor in the dining room - it stays cold and they sprall on it - you have to step over the bodies!!!!

yup Jessie does this aswell....   ;D  although not in your dining room..lol..                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Hot cockers
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 06:24:34 PM »
The coolest floor in my house is the tiled kitchen floor which Lottie quite happily like to lay in the middle of just when I'm trying to do tea >:( Or whatever appliance I need to get to, she'll be lying in front of ie..dishwasher, fridge.washing machine.....you get my drift :- ::)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Hot cockers
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2003, 08:08:22 PM »
A paddling pool in the garden will go down a storm

I actually went to Toys R Us yesterday and bought one for the boys ;D I let the sales woman finish her safety for children carefully rehearsed speech and then gladly told her it was for my dogs ;D ;D And I have to say, they absolutely loved it. Dallas was especially feeling the heat due to his thick black coat but hes been diving in and out of it like theres no tomorrow ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Hot cockers
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 09:27:19 AM »
I've been wanting to get a pool for Phoebe for ages but hubby looks on in disbelief!!! :) Do your daft cockers lie in the sun - event when right next to a shady bit?                    
Anita

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Hot cockers
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 11:34:22 AM »
I thought Archie was fed up with the other 2, when he kept taking himself off into the kitchen and sitting quietly in the corner, as if he was sulking. We finally twigged, that he was leaning against the freezer door and keeping cool, who said cockers were thick.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Hot cockers
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 12:04:18 PM »
I've been wanting to get a pool for Phoebe for ages but hubby looks on in disbelief!!! :) Do your daft cockers lie in the sun - event when right next to a shady bit?

Ohhhhh yes - only this sunday fern was flat out on the grass under the sun - boiling her tail off and snoring loudly!  8)But she was happy!
She only moved when i dropped a crisp infront of her nose to see how long she would take to react - 2 seconds!!!!!!!! ::)                    
Clare

Offline crosby

• Site Member
Hot cockers
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 04:18:43 PM »
We seem to have the only cocker who hates water! If it's raining he doesn't want to go out or if he steps in a puddle by mistake he'll keep lifting his paws up in sequence and I have to confess to having carried him out of one before now! I guess he's pretty far removed from any working heritage.

Liz & Blue                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Hot cockers
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 10:37:30 PM »
We seem to have the only cocker who hates water!

No, you're not alone ;)  Lottie is not keen on water either.  She doesn't mind the rain too much but will always walk around a puddle ::)  She recently came on holiday with us and loved the beach but tiptoed her way between the waves, shaking paws every few seconds ::)                    
Mary & Lottie x