Author Topic: rolling .. yuck!  (Read 3571 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
rolling .. yuck!
« on: June 18, 2003, 01:10:49 PM »
I just wondered if anyone elses cocker enjoys to roll in all things great and smelly whilst out on walks? I'm sure the majority of you do have this problem, or have experienced it.

However it seems that Millie ust lives to hunt out these scared smelly patches and roll in them until she is absolutely stinking - today it was horse manure, although in the past favourites have been fox dirt, goose and duck droppings, and once a dead bird  :-[ >:(

obviously this means she needs a bath when she gets home - which is a whole other bundle of fun and games  :D ::)

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any tips for stopping her  the usual firm "NO!" isn't working - not that no has a great effect on her usually anyway, I find "ah ah ah" much better - So usually I end up sprinting across a field screaming no and ah ah ah at the top of my voice as soon as I see her bum collapse. LOL and I'm not always quick enough.

When I get to her I tell her NO and pull her away from the offending patch, usually she will leave it alone but if she does try to go back I use no or ah ah ah and she'll, 8 times out of 10, leave it.

Will she grow out of this behaviour? or am I doomed to bath her after every walk??  ::)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
rolling .. yuck!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 01:32:06 PM »
Dogs will be dogs I'm afraid Kelly ;D Our Lily delights in rolling in fox poo at every opportunity & since she's often ahead of me or behind me when she does it, I don't get the chance to stop her before she does it. A good tip is to apply some tomato ketchup to the offending smelly patches on your return home & rinse off with warm water - this gets rid of the pong without needing to do a full bath. I think making a big deal about it can actually be counter productive - you can end up make rolling in the dung even more exciting for your dog if you do this ;)                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
rolling .. yuck!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 02:34:46 PM »
yup - it's a dog thang ;D My boys don't do it - phew - but my mum had a cairn terrier who loved cow poo - the fresher the better and if the cow was doing at at the right time - no need to roll :o :o                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
rolling .. yuck!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 03:16:08 PM »
Thanks for the tip Jane - I'll try this the next time (probably tomorrow  ;)  )                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
rolling .. yuck!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 03:16:33 PM »
Candy also likes rolling in cow pats.  Disgusting or what?  Interestingly Georgia steps around any mess, I wonder how long that will last??                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
rolling .. yuck!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 03:17:23 PM »
As I said before, Chloe could find the only bit of bird poo in our half acre garden.  Poo radar.  I was at my sisters on Sunday, she has three acres and the little madam found some there too. ???                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
rolling .. yuck!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 03:24:25 PM »
Funnily enough Buttons has never done this :) But last night at Ringcraft a lovely Pointer wee'd on the rubber mat we were using to practise on :-X When it came to Buttons turn she refused point blank to walk through the bit where the wee had been, even though it had been mopped up. Up and down we went 4 times, and everytime she walked around it ::) ;D                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
rolling .. yuck!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 10:41:32 AM »
Fortunately, Phoebe hasn't discovered the rolling in disgusting things. I hope she never does. Her dad would give her such a telling off though  :).

Phoebe did use to eat a lot of poo but she seems to have grown out of it (apart from rabbit poo). We did start putting her back on her lead for a week or so so we could catch her in the act and re enforce the No and Leave it command. It might be worth a try?                    
Anita

Offline Karen

• Site Member
rolling .. yuck!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 02:05:25 PM »
;DLOL I'm glad I'm not the only one with poo-radar dogs!!!! ;D Mine just search for 2 things on a walk - anything edible and poo! Sometimes the 2 seem to get  mixed up too!!! :P                    
Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx