Author Topic: Working Training Diary  (Read 6795 times)

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
Working Training Diary
« on: November 23, 2006, 02:12:12 PM »
Hello All

As some of you may have read, I am getting my cocker on the 6th December which will be used solely for shooting, and I hope to possibly trial her if she shows potential.

I would be interested for what peoples' opinions would be on me doing an online training diary with pictures and possibly videos throughout the training of my new dog.

I think this would be a very useful addition  to the site by showing non shooting people who may not have a lot of knowledge in relation to gundogs how to go about training one (I hope  :D)

Let me know what you think

Scott

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Re: Working Training Diary
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 02:17:45 PM »
I dont train my cocker for field work, but I'd be interested to read what you are proposing  :D  I am always interested to find out different ways of training...and especially in a sport where I have no experience.

I have done a little bit of gundog training with Storm (YKC training days, etc) but I couldnt find a club I liked near me to train her further.  But both of us enjoyed the exercises, and we have fun with them when we are out walking in woods,etc. 

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 02:21:57 PM »
Would be good to see how it is done and could also make Saffies walks a bit more interesting and use up more of her energy even if not intending to do any hunting/shooting with her.

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 02:24:58 PM »
I think a training blog would be a great idea.  I have heard many people talk about having set  training guides to train to.   By doing this I suppose you always ensure you work within the dogs capabilities, follow natural progression and not move on until each area is 100%.  I know I made mistakes by moving on to quickly and not cementing things in.  I think the other important point is to finish a training session on a success, I know I have been guilty of throwing one more retrieve and the dog not completing the task successfully  :huh:
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 02:26:36 PM »
At what age would you start training? (not including the basic, sit, stay fetch etc)

yeah i would be interested in seeing what / how you do it

Fern is being trained by me and local gamekeeper is keeping me right. ( ph34r must admit training lapsed lately due to season watch ph34r)

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 02:31:19 PM »
cazza  did you know the gamekeeper prior to Fern or did you approach him for help with training.
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 02:37:05 PM »
This could be useful, maybe as something all of us who are currently training our young dogs could contribute to. I've just posted about mine and Alfie's first lesson with Mike Skinner which I'm hoping to make into a regular thing so this could be useful for others as well  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »
At what age would you start training? (not including the basic, sit, stay fetch etc)

yeah i would be interested in seeing what / how you do it

Fern is being trained by me and local gamekeeper is keeping me right. ( ph34r must admit training lapsed lately due to season watch ph34r)

I'm planning on starting around the six month mark, depending of course on the dog and how she is with sit stay etc

Offline JulieNicholds

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 04:24:09 PM »
Hi - I'm Julie and Mich & Joy got their two chocolate cocker puppies from me a few weeks ago.   Am fairly new to this forum lark (work permitting :005:) but would be really interested in keeping in touch under this subject heading   I have 3 older cockers at home (aged 12, 7 and 3) all of whom work.   Breeze the youngest was the mother of the two pups.   We still return to Berkshire every weekend for beating and picking up, having not found anywhere local to Kenilworth.   I have actually trained the dogs myself with the assistance of a local Working Gundog Club down in Berkshire which was a god send in the early days, I haven't found anything similar since being up in Warwickshire.  The Club used to meet at on a keepers ground the first Sunday of every month throughout the year and we used to do the gundog demonstrations at local Country Shows and also the Game Fair when it was at Blenheim & Romsey.

My husband now takes his young labrador to an excellent lady over in Meriden though.

Cazza asked about what age you would start - I have always started as young as possible.   Although the last puppy we have from this litter is only 13 weeks tomorrow, and leaves for his new home tomorrow evening , I have already been doing the basics of sitting, mini-retrieves and basically getting him wound up about something in my hand, like an old sock.  What I have always been told to do is to hold it it your hand so he can't get to it and run it over the floor (you need to be on your hands and knees!).   

You are starting the "hunting" instinct  with the reward being getting the sock for a few seconds to charge around the kitchen with you only need to do it for a couple of minutes each day.  Acer has already learnt to bring it back to me quickly so we can start all over again!.  You want all the fun to happen around your feet and if you can continue this through into adulthood you are doing really well.   You want them to quarter around you as closely as possible - the problem I had with Breeze was that I had to make her work further away from me - but obviously there is a happy medium!

My middle cocker is TOTALLY tennis ball orientated and even at the age of 7 1/2 I can go back to the basics of covering a ball up with my hand, and getting her to try and get it from me - it just tightens her up before we start shooting in September - so many people make the mistake of hanging up their dogs at the end of January, let them have the summer off and then expect them to behave perfectly on 1st September when you go off on your first partridge day!  Obviously if you are into trialling you are busy all summer but once we finish shooting I give them all of February "off" and then start with a weekly session before I go to work - just one retrieve or hunting session, building it up to every other day in August, heat conditions permitting after this year but 6am in the morning was just perfect.

For a novice at this seem to have waffled on for quite abit - sorry but abit passionate about working, working cockers!   :D Sorrrrryyyy!!!

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 05:15:29 PM »
rolos dad won his first trial at 10 months so some dogs are good young some need more time to mature but I think training should be like play to them and always stop before the dog gets tired or bored. also never treat a dog for a retrieve as he she will drop the dummy for the treat and if this was  live  game ie a rabbit it would shoot off into the hillside instead of being given to the handler to dispose of.

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 05:35:29 PM »
...also never treat a dog for a retrieve as he she will drop the dummy for the treat and if this was  live  game ie a rabbit it would shoot off into the hillside instead of being given to the handler to dispose of.

Interesting  :blink:  That makes total sense to me.

I do treat my dogs for bringing me something and they both now have a very strong retrieve and hold.  They know if they drop the article they wont get sweeties.  (But I work them in obedience...and so it isnt live game they are bringing back to me)  I guess it depends on the dog, and handler.

Offline Jenny

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 05:37:50 PM »
I would be really interested to read a diary about your training.  I've got barney who has just turned one and we don't work, but i just think it might give us some ideas about other things we can do with him, and I've always wondered about gun dog training and how it all starts.  We don't want to train him to the gun, but this would be a VERY interesting post  :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 05:47:41 PM »
i like the idea as long as it doesn't turn into a personal 'blog' as i find ongoing threads quite dull to read through (pages and pages and pages....)

would prefer the occassional post and update on separate threads personally ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 06:08:17 PM »
cazza  did you know the gamekeeper prior to Fern or did you approach him for help with training.

I knew the game keeper before. He egged me on to get Fern when we were deciding to have her or not

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 06:50:32 PM »
I'll be popping in regularly to read about working dogs and training them to work - although I don't have one myself, there are so many dogs who earn their keep in this way living here, that it will be of real interest to me  ;)

In fact, I have my first question, if you don't mind?

I wondered if there was the risk of long-term joint damage if puppies begin working too young in field work in the same way as there is through agility and other activities which subject the joints to impact?
Jean, I notice you say that Rolo's sire won a trial at less than a year old.......??
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club