13 (29.5%)
No
10 (22.7%)
Currently Training
8 (18.2%)
Would like to know how
13 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Do you work your dog?  (Read 14438 times)

Offline Millomite

• Amber (CS), Brook (Lab) & Fern (CS)
    • Amberquest Gundogs
Do you work your dog?
« on: November 24, 2006, 12:00:03 PM »
Just a quick demographic

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Re: Do you work your dog?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 12:03:38 PM »
Got Glen purely as a pet and although he is a working cocker he has never done any work so don't think he'll miss out.  ;)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:12:31 PM »
I put no, because I dont work her in field trials?  (she does work in obedience...but i guess that doesnt count  :005: )

I'd like to know how to teach her more gundog exercises (not sure I'd want to go out on a 'real' shoot though)  :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 12:31:39 PM »
Um - it depends on the definition of "work" ?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 12:40:43 PM »
Don't be pedantic! You know what Scott means.  ::)  ::) Especially as this section has been specifically set up to discuss 'working'. If you are unsure look at the description on the home page.  ::)

No. I don't work my dogs. Although if I ever got them trained to a good enough standard, I wouldn't mind giving it a go. Don't really know where to start to be honest though. So I'll keep reading threads in this section for tips.  ;) 

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 12:56:24 PM »
I put no, because I dont work her in field trials?  (she does work in obedience...but i guess that doesnt count  :005: )

I'd like to know how to teach her more gundog exercises (not sure I'd want to go out on a 'real' shoot though)  :D

You dont have to work them in field trials. You can do working tests, gundog scurries etc which are all canvas dummy based

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 12:58:13 PM »
Don't be pedantic! You know what Scott means.  ::)  ::) Especially as this section has been specifically set up to discuss 'working'. If you are unsure look at the description on the home page.  ::)

Actually, I'm not - there are people I know who don't consider field trials to be "working".......I just wondered what the general use of the word is, and whether the classes I am looking at fall into this category  ?

Trialing is mentioned in this section and field trials in the Other Activities section - are they the same thing, or different ?  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 01:00:31 PM »

Actually, I'm not - there are people I know who don't consider field trials to be "working".......I just wondered what the general use of the word is, and whether the classes I am looking at fall into this category  ?

Trialing is mentioned in this section and field trials in the Other Activities section - are they the same thing, or different ?  :huh:

I would class trials and working trials as the same thing. Can't see why they have split.

I think the general aim of this forum is working in terms of gundogs etc

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 01:25:50 PM »
I am currently training Bailey at the moment for beating,I have had 3 Cockers in the past,Raisen,Badger & Murphy that have all been great beating/rough shooting, and in the case of Raisen pigeon shooting dogs.
Badger also competed in Gundog tests, he was the best trained Cocker that I have owned, having passed the advanced spaniel test at the East Midland Gundog Club, unable to trial him though as he had a fault of sometimes making a noise when on live game, which is not allowed.

Baileys is not doing too bad, didn't have him from a pup, he came to me as a rescue dog at the age of 11 months and I have no history of his parentage at all.Hope to introduce him to the gun soon.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 01:31:54 PM »
I would class trials and working trials as the same thing. Can't see why they have split.

Working Trials are completely different to Field Trials, hence they have been listed in the Other board. Working Trials involve a combination of obedience, agility, tracking and at the highest level, man work (ie police dog work). Cockers can and do compete at the lower levels in Working Trials (but they're too small to progress to the higher levels)
Jane

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 01:36:57 PM »

Working Trials are completely different to Field Trials, hence they have been listed in the Other board. Working Trials involve a combination of obedience, agility, tracking and at the highest level, man work (ie police dog work). Cockers can and do compete at the lower levels in Working Trials (but they're too small to progress to the higher levels)

From a shooting mans perspective a working trial/test is the use of canvas dummies to simulate 'in the field' situations. A field trial uses real game.

Must be confusing, it is for me. I only know of working gundog things, not agility etc

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 01:48:21 PM »
[[/quote]

From a shooting mans perspective a working trial/test is the use of canvas dummies to simulate 'in the field' situations. A field trial uses real game.

[/quote]

Just what I was about to type.
Also in a Field trial you would only be competing against other spaniels as the breeds are split.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 02:01:29 PM »
I would love to work mocha out on a shoot and gamefair scurries  but am happy to just use the principles of gundog training to help develop him and stimulate him.  It might be helpful if someone more knowledgeable than I lists some of the things we do with our gundogs, I will give it a go or maybe it should go on another thread?
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 02:09:55 PM »
This link explains field trials:

http://www.adviegundogs.co.uk/field.htm

This one explains working tests:

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/competingarticle

Offline Millomite

• Amberquest Gundogs
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 02:10:38 PM »
I would love to work mocha out on a shoot and gamefair scurries  but am happy to just use the principles of gundog training to help develop him and stimulate him.  It might be helpful if someone more knowledgeable than I lists some of the things we do with our gundogs, I will give it a go or maybe it should go on another thread?

Start a new topic up and I'll go through some of the stuff me and my cosuin do with our labs and cocker/s