Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

How Diet Affects Behaviour

(1/5) > >>

LindaW:
I am doing a special study on the subject of diet and how it affects canine behaviour as part of my canine psychology course.  If anyone has direct experience of a change in diet directly affecting their dog's behaviour, I would love to hear about it or indeed anything else that might be relevant.  Please help!! ???                    

Pammy:
Linda

I had a direct experience of diet effecting behaviour when Jasper was a pup. He came to me on Eukanuba puppy - he was literally climbing the walls so after a couple of weeks in consultation with his breeder I tried Nutro - not a huge amount of difference in the protein levels - but no artificial additives. He calmed down so much. I add bits to the nutro to make it more interesting, eggs, cheese, tuna, real meat etc and although they are protein - it does not make him any more hyper. I can only put it down to the additives in Euk at the time.

hth --- if you want anymore - let me know

regards                    

FionaM:
I noticed a change in Poppy's behaviour when I changed her food to Eukanuba puppy (she had previously been on Hills Science Plan puppy) She wasn't hyperactive, but seemed to have a lot more puppy frustrations to let out if you know what I mean.

After talking to other people I changed her to James WellBeloved and she calmed down again.

My boyfriend thought I was talking nonsense at first, but he noticed a change in her when she went onto JWB and agreed that maybe the Eukanuba hadn't agreed with her.

hth
Fiona                    

LindaW:
Thanks Pammy and Fiona - the more info I can collect the better.  It is not just the protein levels, the additives play a part as well.  Interesting that you both have the thumbs down for Eukanuba (can't both be wrong)! :o                    

Pammy:

--- Quote from: Linda W on July 03, 2003, 12:26:41 PM ---Thanks Pammy and Fiona - the more info I can collect the better.  It is not just the protein levels, the additives play a part as well.  Interesting that you both have the thumbs down for Eukanuba (can't both be wrong)! :o

--- End quote ---

Certainly the case for me Linda - but I do know of people who swear by it - now as Iams of course and whose dogs thrive on it.  :-                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version