cricket stumps
shoes (new & old)
several barbies arms
A hockey stick
2 patio chair set cushions  >:(
a picnic blanket
an umberella
the side of a battered doggie bed
and......now the latest discovery..... the side of a cupboard door in the kitchen  >:( >:( >:( -

all victims of Montys chewing abilities ::)
I can cope with most of this lot as, thankfully, many are in the garden and I can blame the children for not putting their stuff away ...HOWEVER....he seems to have developed a taste for my kitchen units now and I am not having that.
I noticed in the pet shop an anti-chewing spray - anyone tried? does it work? does it stink?(well I am potentially going to spray it in the kitchen!)
Any other suggestions to stop chewing.

You know, I can't believe I am posting about chewing when Monty is nearly 1 - I thought this was a small puppy kind of thing ??? -
When I leave him suitable dog things to chew - he runs off and buries them in the garden (the numpty ::))

Any advice gratefully received ;)                    

Jane S:
I've had a few "chewers" who are still nibbling well past the age of 12 months so sadly it's not a baby puppy thing ;) Some of the chew deterrent sprays are pretty useless but Bitter Apple is quite good (you can get this from some pet stores, the online vet pharmacies & perhaps your vet). Other things that I have found quite effective is to smear some chest rub (like Vick but own brand types tend to be cheaper ;)) on the area likely to be chewed or to rub a chilli pepper on the area (make sure you wash your hands well afterwards ;D)

They do grow out of it eventually, honest ;D                    

*Jay*:
I used the Bitter apple spray when vegas was a pup and it was a godsend ;D When Dallas started chewing my hall floor, I tried the spray again but unfortunately he likes the taste ::) ;D Will keep the chillis in mind for future reference ;)                    

Pammy:
Buddy took a taste to the Kitchen units too :- not too much damage - but it's there if you look. I tried Bitter Apple - but we couldn't stand the smell - it's quite sharp - as you'd expect :-  but it did the trick.

Menthol type things generally have the desired effect - you could try Albas oil if you want something less greasy. ;D                    

Colin:
With all those bats and things your garden sounds like a sports centre, Jen . :o

Don't waste money on "Bitter Bite". I sprayed this on everything Jimmy had chewed and also things he hadn't yet discovered . Unfortunately he liked the taste and my spraying everywhere indiscriminately just attracted him to fresh new things to munch on. >:( Luckily he grew out of that phase pretty quickly, I've got my fingers crosssed that my new little monster will too.

Strange how I find Monty's chewing is cute and endearing but Misty's is the work of the devil.  ??? ;D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version