Author Topic: Teenage Tantrums  (Read 4660 times)

Anonymous

Teenage Tantrums
« on: July 26, 2003, 08:28:27 PM »
Well as most of you know I recently had a weekend away in the tent with boys and Jessie,  well ever since we got back Jessie has wrecked the kitchen whenever left, its almost like shes had us all to herlsef for the hols and now shes back and has to fit in with routines and be left, shes gonna cause havoc..

she opens kitchen cupbaords and the fridge and empties the contents into her basket.  >:(

I have tried barracading the doors with heavy weights (she moves them) I have a lock on the fridge door, (shes gets in it) having said that it is only a temporary lock hubby did, not proffesional one.  I dont want my kitchen to resemble an assault course, so please help, what can I do????  I haven't wanted to bother anyone cos I felt I had bothered you all enough with my worrying over her op, but as thats now delayed for a while, I thought I could tackle this.

otherwise hubbys ready to post her to her boyfriend Dallas  :o  ;D

desperately seeking solution...   all offers of help accepted
gratefully  ;D                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 09:47:47 PM »
If Jessie isnt used to a crate ,why not try keeping her

occupied by putting some treats in a cong or cube.

this can keep her amused whlile you are out.  ;)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

• Site Member
Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 09:54:27 PM »
Oh,  forgot to add maybe her behavour has something

to do with her phantom pregnancy.  ::)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 10:47:33 PM »
Oh,  forgot to add maybe her behavour has something to do with her phantom pregnancy.  ::)

well I think that you could be right Indiesnan, especially as Lynsey says Jessie is taking everything back to her basket - akin to nesting?                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 08:24:51 AM »
Sounds like it to me Lynsey :'( Poor Jessie :'(

She's obviously feeling very confused at the moment and the holliday pe5rhaps hasn't helped. You weren't to know though and there's nothing you could have done about that bit. Sounds like she's trying to make a nest and build her own security too.

Jane may know of a homeopathic remedy you could try to calm her - perhaps Bach's Rescue Remedy would help - or even something like Serene-um, which is for anxious dogs, or the human one called Kalms.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2003, 09:18:47 AM »
Yes I agree with the others - I reckon it's a combination of the phantom pregnancy combined with a bit of separation anxiety (Jessie got used to company all the time while you were away camping) I would supplement with evening primrose oil (1000mg a day) & perhaps also try the homeopathic remedy Pulsatilla which is the remedy for phantom pregnancy if the dog is the clingy, submissive type. Rescue Remedy is also a good idea as Pam suggested. You could try leaving a piece of your worn clothing in Jessie's basket as this can be comforting. Apart from that do the usual things for separation anxiety - don't make a big deal about going out & when you come back, again don't make a fuss of Jessie or react too much to what she's done in the kitchen - just be v laid back & nonchalant ;) Have you thought about giving Jessie the run of the house instead of shutting her in the kitchen? Don't know how feasible this would be but it might work ;)                    
Jane

Anonymous

Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 11:34:54 AM »
Have you thought about giving Jessie the run of the house instead of shutting her in the kitchen? Don't know how feasible this would be but it might work  

funny you should say that, thats the first thing I tried, but she wrecked the phone  :-, I am considering doing this thouh, I am just increasing my house insurance in the meantime ;)  seriously hubby amd myself have said exactly the same thing today, give he the whole house, cos also the other thing is poppy is seperate from her, maybe she wants to be with her also????

I know its a combination of things, and we will get there in the end, but I dont want an unhappy baby whilst I am out, and knowing I have to go into hospital with son for 3 days isn't making me rest easy.

would the evenin primrose be ok to give whilst shes still getting the galastop??  I have some human evening primrose capsules, or do I get liquid form?...you know I will try anything to help my baby, but I have my doubts that this is all due to her phantom, although I have no doubt some of it is, shes always been whiny when we left her, hence why she sleeps on my bed and not in her basket... I just didn't have the heart to hear that crying. ::)

a man at hubbys work said shes taking the food back to her basket cos she thinks shes feeding puppies after her season, why didn't that register with me?????? now I feel a failture even more ::)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2003, 12:38:20 PM »
Don't be silly Lynsey - of course you're not a failure ;D From what you say, Jessie has always been the clingy type & so her hormones being all over the place has just made her more so than usual. I do think it's a good idea that she & Poppy should be together when you leave them - I don't think dogs that live together like to be separated (unless they don't get on of course ;))

Jane

PS Yes human evening primrose oil capsules are perfectly ok to use & I don't know of any reason why you couldn't give EPO to Jessie while she's on Galastop                    
Jane

Anonymous

Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2003, 05:11:20 PM »
well as I am in hospital with son tomorrow there is little I can do, but I checked the local paper and there was a dog cage for sale larger than she needed I think, but I got it, cos I thought at least she has somewhere to go when shes had her op away from poppy and the kids, thats secure, and guess what???? she likes it! ...daft girl!!!!!

I set it up with blankets and toys treats etc...and left the door open.... in she went,  ::) she seems to like that better than her basket so far, hubby is not keen on her and poppy having free reign together cos of them getting huffy with each other occasionally at moment (I think its hormones) so this is a temporary measure until I can sort something else out..                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2003, 05:31:14 PM »
Lynsey

Hope all goes well at the hospital. Jessie will be fine she's obviously not frightened of the crate so that's a HUGE plus and if she's takign her things into it - then she see's it as her place - so even better ;D.

I'm sure once she's over this phantom and got her op over with, things will be better for you.

Try not to worry and concentrate on your son and yourself.

good luck :-*                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Anonymous

Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2003, 05:40:06 PM »
thanks Pammy... will be back on after sons op...  thats if theres a bed available when I ring tomorrow...which is the next thing that could go wrong..  ;D                    

• Site Member
Teenage Tantrums
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2003, 07:18:18 PM »
HI! Lynsey,  Im glad to hear young Jessie likes her crate,

it wont be long before she gets back to normal. ;)

Im sure everything will go ahead at the hospital

so please try not to worry.  Barb  xx