Author Topic: begging at dinner table  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Julie Marie

• Site Member
begging at dinner table
« on: August 24, 2003, 07:29:44 PM »
hi guys  :)

my nine week old pup benny is begging at dinner table. i tell him no firmly but he ignores me, i distract him and take him away from table. that doen't work, i shut him in the garden for a few mins but he goes straight back to dinner table- help!!

thanks  :(                    
Jools

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
begging at dinner table
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 07:50:42 PM »
Hiya Daisy,

Despair not...Benny is afterall only 9 weeks old and a baby ;), personally i don't agree with removing him or locking him outside on his own....not at 9 weeks old anyway  :-.....if i remember you've only had Benny for about a week which is a really short amount of time for a small baby to take all these rules that us humans have in.
The keyword is "consistency" with everything....
I think that saying NO firmly is the key....eventually he will understand....even if you have to keep saying it over and over again. You do need to have alot of patience at this early stage...but if you persevere it will pay dividends in the end  ;)

Gilly                    

Offline Julie Marie

• Site Member
begging at dinner table
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 07:56:36 PM »
fanx gilly, yes i have only had him for one week. i have never owned a dog before so i have absolutely no idea!!! if you think i shouldn't put him in garden then i won't. patience is my middle name! i have a 4 and 6 year old, one with adhd and i am a single working mum too!!!

julie

ps how do i put a photo of ben on my personal details so everyone can c my bootiful boy?!!                    
Jools

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
begging at dinner table
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 08:16:26 PM »
Hiya Julie,

I'm sure you must have loads of patience with 2 young kids i have 2 gilrs aged 7 & 5...tho my patience is tried everyday ;) ;D
Have you got a copy of the "Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey...this is a really helpful book to all new puppy owners, with loads of great tips ;), if you don't want to buy it maybe your library has a copy. If you do buy it there is a link to Amazon on the shopping section on this site.
I'm not sure how you get Benny as your "avatar" picture without a website  ??? I got Buttys on because i have a website, but i could be wrong  :-                    

Anonymous

begging at dinner table
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 12:15:35 AM »
Hiya Julie

ps how do i put a photo of ben on my personal details so everyone can c my bootiful boy?!!

I forwarded mine by email to Stuart at the cockers online e mail address and he did it for me .                    

Offline Julie Marie

• Site Member
begging at dinner table
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 08:23:36 AM »
:) thanks to u both.

gilly - i have already ordered that book from amazon plus the dog whisperer - it supposed to be fab  ;D

julie n ben                    
Jools

Offline gerry

• Site Member
begging at dinner table
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 12:26:12 PM »
Hi Julie

I also have used The Perfect Puppy extensively and thoroughly recommend.  We had a rule from the beginning that no one was to give Rigsby titbits from the table or plates - any leftovers are put in his bowl, and that has worked brilliantly and he never scrounges or begs for food.

I know in Gwen Bailey's book it recommends you eat before your dog to reinforce the pack ranking on your dog, but we did find when Rigsby was tiny that if we fed him first he settled quickly and normally had a sleep while we ate - just a thought ;)                    

Offline PennyB

begging at dinner table
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 02:33:05 AM »
I know in Gwen Bailey's book it recommends you eat before your dog to reinforce the pack ranking on your dog, but we did find when Rigsby was tiny that if we fed him first he settled quickly and normally had a sleep while we ate - just a thought ;)  

I wish mine sleeped after they ate. When I 1st got Ruby and then Wilf while they were at the breeders they always slept after they ate, but now they're here they seem to get a lot more active and then they sleep eventually.

I tend to eat 1st and then give them their food afterwards. As has been said before it pays to be consistent. I've found that persistently saying 'no' works and they eventually settle until its their turn to be fed (at 1st—week 1—I did put him in his crate as he was such a greedy guts though). It does take a little time, as I'm sure Wilf who was one of nine found it difficult at 1st (he's now learnt to realise that he wll eventually get some food—initially, I had to put a ball in his bowl as he was eating so quickly, but now he's slowed down).

I tend not to give them any titbits at all (as Ruby the eldest has now been spayed, and I don't want her to get fat).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Julie Marie

• Site Member
begging at dinner table
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2003, 07:15:35 PM »
fanx for your advice  :D                    
Jools