Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

begging at dinner table

(1/2) > >>

Julie Marie:
hi guys  :)

my nine week old pup benny is begging at dinner table. i tell him no firmly but he ignores me, i distract him and take him away from table. that doen't work, i shut him in the garden for a few mins but he goes straight back to dinner table- help!!

thanks  :(                    

Gilly:
Hiya Daisy,

Despair not...Benny is afterall only 9 weeks old and a baby ;), personally i don't agree with removing him or locking him outside on his own....not at 9 weeks old anyway  :-.....if i remember you've only had Benny for about a week which is a really short amount of time for a small baby to take all these rules that us humans have in.
The keyword is "consistency" with everything....
I think that saying NO firmly is the key....eventually he will understand....even if you have to keep saying it over and over again. You do need to have alot of patience at this early stage...but if you persevere it will pay dividends in the end  ;)

Gilly                    

Julie Marie:
fanx gilly, yes i have only had him for one week. i have never owned a dog before so i have absolutely no idea!!! if you think i shouldn't put him in garden then i won't. patience is my middle name! i have a 4 and 6 year old, one with adhd and i am a single working mum too!!!

julie

ps how do i put a photo of ben on my personal details so everyone can c my bootiful boy?!!                    

Gilly:
Hiya Julie,

I'm sure you must have loads of patience with 2 young kids i have 2 gilrs aged 7 & 5...tho my patience is tried everyday ;) ;D
Have you got a copy of the "Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey...this is a really helpful book to all new puppy owners, with loads of great tips ;), if you don't want to buy it maybe your library has a copy. If you do buy it there is a link to Amazon on the shopping section on this site.
I'm not sure how you get Benny as your "avatar" picture without a website  ??? I got Buttys on because i have a website, but i could be wrong  :-                    

Anonymous:
Hiya Julie

ps how do i put a photo of ben on my personal details so everyone can c my bootiful boy?!!

I forwarded mine by email to Stuart at the cockers online e mail address and he did it for me .                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version