Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

begging at dinner table

<< < (2/2)

Julie Marie:
:) thanks to u both.

gilly - i have already ordered that book from amazon plus the dog whisperer - it supposed to be fab  ;D

julie n ben                    

gerry:
Hi Julie

I also have used The Perfect Puppy extensively and thoroughly recommend.  We had a rule from the beginning that no one was to give Rigsby titbits from the table or plates - any leftovers are put in his bowl, and that has worked brilliantly and he never scrounges or begs for food.

I know in Gwen Bailey's book it recommends you eat before your dog to reinforce the pack ranking on your dog, but we did find when Rigsby was tiny that if we fed him first he settled quickly and normally had a sleep while we ate - just a thought ;)                    

PennyB:

--- Quote from: gerry on August 25, 2003, 12:26:12 PM ---I know in Gwen Bailey's book it recommends you eat before your dog to reinforce the pack ranking on your dog, but we did find when Rigsby was tiny that if we fed him first he settled quickly and normally had a sleep while we ate - just a thought ;)  

--- End quote ---

I wish mine sleeped after they ate. When I 1st got Ruby and then Wilf while they were at the breeders they always slept after they ate, but now they're here they seem to get a lot more active and then they sleep eventually.

I tend to eat 1st and then give them their food afterwards. As has been said before it pays to be consistent. I've found that persistently saying 'no' works and they eventually settle until its their turn to be fed (at 1st—week 1—I did put him in his crate as he was such a greedy guts though). It does take a little time, as I'm sure Wilf who was one of nine found it difficult at 1st (he's now learnt to realise that he wll eventually get some food—initially, I had to put a ball in his bowl as he was eating so quickly, but now he's slowed down).

I tend not to give them any titbits at all (as Ruby the eldest has now been spayed, and I don't want her to get fat).                    

Julie Marie:
fanx for your advice  :D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version