Author Topic: Aggression on the lead  (Read 3052 times)

Offline spidster

• Site Member
Aggression on the lead
« on: August 29, 2003, 10:32:11 AM »
I have just read a previous thread 'aggressive on the lead', which is almost spot on my problem.
I just wondered that if a dog is aggressive on the lead, would a halti/gentle leader help? It would bring their attention to you when they pulled, and you could pull thier attention to you?
Thanks
Emma x x                    

Offline PennyB

Aggression on the lead
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 04:11:31 PM »
When you say aggressive on the lead do you mean to other dogs.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline spidster

• Site Member
Aggression on the lead
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 08:18:01 PM »
yes sorry, I typed it quickly and didnt read it through  :-[                    

Offline PennyB

Aggression on the lead
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 08:25:53 PM »
When I've taken Ruby for the odd 1-2-1 training session there have been dogs before/after us with same probs. Trainer I go to uses disks, and I saw an article recently in one of the mags re using disks as well for this problem. Its worth speaking to a good trainer and while 1-2-1 may look a little expensive they are worth it in the long run                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline spidster

• Site Member
Aggression on the lead
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 09:47:50 PM »
Im a bit dumb! ???
What do you mean by disks?
Sorry if thats a stupid question!  :)                    

Offline PennyB

Aggression on the lead
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2003, 12:27:57 AM »
The disks used in disk training are a collection of small metal disks (about 6) tied by ribbon/string that make a noise when thrown to the ground. They cost about £6 from petshops (complete with booklet of how to use)

Its usually better to be shown how to use them as like clicker training timing is very important. The basic technique is quite simple and you begin by getting your dog used to the idea of them (before dealing with the problem you're interested in) by 1st giving them a number of treats and not using any sort of communication (eye contact, sound, etc.) all the time the disks are 'hidden' in your other hand and then eventaully place a treat on the ground and as the dog goes to pick it up the disks are thrown on the ground which will startle the dog (if the dog goes again to pick up the treat then throw the disks again on to the ground quite firmly). The dog then associates the placing on the ground of a treat with these disks. I have an extremely greedy spaniel and if I put a treat on the floor now she won't go to pick it up but just sits back and waits until I eventually give her the treat. That is the groundwork involved. Looks simplistic and probably is but I found it amazing to watch. Some dogs are immune to disks (either becuase they are not food orientated or affected by sound). From there you can work on other things. Basically its learning by association. As I said its far better to be shown how 1st.

I'll look out the article re dog aggression on leads and try to scan it in (no promises as my new scanner is bad at OCR and my old one won't work with my newer software and then there's the bermuda triangle effect since I moved house!)                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Aggression on the lead
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2003, 10:05:26 AM »
Hi! Penny , our lab Nell was realy hypo, :o so we got a
 behavourist in, and we also took her to training lessons.
 She was allways jumping up at people and it was very hard to to train her as she did what she wanted. ::)After six lessons of disc and clicker training, she was a different dog, ;D She is three in 4 days is still a bit siily sometimes but full of character. ;D

we love her loads  ;D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline PennyB

Aggression on the lead
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2003, 12:29:29 PM »
Hi Indiesnan—the method is so simple really as well isn't it                    
Friends of Hailey Park