Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

Running off while out for a walk!

(1/2) > >>

mpandsh:
We have a 10 month old cocker who untill now has been very good when out for a run.  But the last few weeks, we let him off the lead he runs around us for a few minutes and then decides to run off !!
He has only just started doing this, before he would run over to other dogs to play and when he realised that they wer'nt interested in a hypa cocker he would come straight back.
Any ideas?

Martin & Sloane                    

*Jay*:
This could just be an age thing where they seem to forget all their training.  You could try practising the recall at home with either something really tasty that he only gets for this exercise or a special toy that again will only be used for recall training. When your in another room, call him to you and when he comes give him his reward. Practise this over a few sessions until he is consistent. When it comes to going out, put him on a training line so he still has the freedom but you are still ultimately in control. Call him to you and when he comes, reward and send him off to play again. I know some people have success with walking in the opposite direction but when i did that, I could swear Vegas was standing there going "see ya" ;) The fact he was doing it before is encouraging and going back to basics will probably solve the problem. If you see him running off, dont continually call him if you know hes not going to pay attention to you as he will end up no longer associating the command with returning to you. He'll just think "come" means go off and do your own thing ::) Good luck :)                    

mpandsh:
Thanks Gill,
I have spoken to the breader tonight, and we are going to take him to her for some more expert training now!
see what happens eh !!!!

thanks again
Martin                    

PennyB:
Walking in the opposite direction works for Ruby (for the time being). I find with mine that she pre-empts the walk so charges off sometimes as she thinks we're going there anyway so she may as well go on ahead at her own pace. I now have to walk in different areas just to try and fool her. Whenever she begins showing signs of being 'cheeky' and trying it on with anything I always go back to basics so practising recall again is a good idea (squeaky toys help with mine as they can hear them if they stray too far)

I'm a great believer in going for additional training with a trainer who knows what they are doing anyway (some don't :o), and to be honest I think the trainer trains me more than the dog. Cockers also like stimulation, which is another reason why we go training.                    

Toohey:
If my dogs are busy chasing birds or on a scent when I am ready to leave, I find if I go and hide behind a tree it takes them about 10 seconds to realise Mum's not there, panic sets in and it's hilarious to peek out from behind the tree and see them trying to track me down! Zigzagging with their noses down they always find me ;) Although I have on occasion been forced to get in the car and start it up, only to open the door and have my my two very wet and bedraggled companions soon landing on the backseat with panicked looks on their faces ;D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version