Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

Running off while out for a walk!

<< < (2/2)

Mary:
When Lottie went through this phase, running in the opposite direction never worked for me ::)

I reverted to taking tastier treats for a while (cheese is a particular favourite with her).  Before releasing her I would give her a treat to let her know what was in my pocket ;)  It worked and now she's pretty good again ;)                    

Rosie:
We had a similar problem with Charlie - he would enjoy his walk for a while but would then take himself home - accross roads etc.  Once he even got home from about 2 miles away!!

However, I found the meaning of life for Charlie - a ball!!  Now if I carry it he stayes with me in case I thorw it - occassionally I thorw it a little way behind me to keep him interested to that always runds to catch me up - I can then take it off him etc.

At the end of the walk - when his lead is on - I give him the ball to carry - and I used to give him treats as well when he came back - It did sink in eventually although he is not the brightest.  He is now nearly 2 years old and (touch wood) has not run off for ages and ages!!                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version