Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

the practical dog listener - jan fennell

<< < (2/2)

Gilly:
I must admit i read the Jan Fennell book and thought it was very good and interesting. But...i didn't use this meathod on Butty. I did try it but felt like i was stiffling her personality. She likes jumping on me when i come in   ;D ::) As she has grown older the one thing i have managed to do which i think is helpful is ask her to "sit nice" when people come in so that they can then stroke her without getting dive bombed  :o ;D
It does work as my In-Laws who don't have any dogs have even got used to saying "sit nice" and she does and this method works well for me  ;)                    

roy:
Hi I'm trying out the Jan Fennel methods with my two dogs - Barney 9yrs old with some bad habits and Alfie 11 weeks old. Alfie too is left in Cage when I go out - when I come back in I let him out of cage and go outside with minimum fuss or eye contact, seems to be working - especially with the old dog as well, the difficulty is remembering to keep to the suggested routine. And of course I think that there needs to be some adjustment for individual  situations, especially when I get up in the middle of the night to let Alfie out for wee, cause have to give lots of fuss when he performs to order. So suggest use method without going overboard.                    

Silver Surfer (indiesnan):
We also did this with Nell, when we went out we put her in her pen about five mins before we went ,and when we returned ,we didnt make a fuss of her for a least five minutes
 We would put the shopping away and make a cuppa, then let her out. It worked a treat.Now she is so laid back about it, she,s almost horizontal. ;) ;D                    

Julie Marie:
thanks everyone. don't know what i would do without cockers online. benny would end up as mad and neurotic as me i guess lol  ;D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version